Carrying a D lock

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
First off - hello all, I've been MTBing for years but have onlly just taken the plunge into commuting. Have just ordered a Courier Race from EBC - pick it up on sat :D

I've been getting a few bits together for the commuter that I don't already own for the MTB, namely locking skewers and a big lock.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on carrying a D lock - usually I stick everything in a backpack as I don't like having things attached to the MTB. Then I realised a D lock is a big hunk of metal which if the wost were to happen could probably do a fair bit of damage to your thoracic spine if you were to land on your back (i.e. with the lock in the backpack). So what do you all think - safer to attach it to the frame, or am I worrying about nowt?

Thanks for any advice

Jon

Comments

• Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Carradice saddlebag, and get the weight off your back.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Seconded...
  • I also only carry a D lock when I really need to make the bike less attractive to thieves, I use a cable lock for work in 'secure' car park, but both when I am leaving the bike elsewhere for 30 mins plus.

I carry mine in a rucksack, but the rucksack (Decathlon, Forclaz Air 30) has very good padding for the back.

I think it won't be a problem.
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    I lock mine onto my frame. You need to find somewhere on your bike where it won't hit your legs, a wheel, affect the steering or pull on the gear/brake cables.

Usually put mine just behind the headtube (i.e. around both the top tube down tubes in one) but whether you can do this will depend on your bike and lock.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    mini d lock back pocket. handy for punching buses with.

:D
  • jon208
    ^^^^^^ :lol::lol:

Very good

Unfortunatley I think I'm going to be getting a New York D lock as the bike is going to be left in an area which is fairly bad for bike theft. I figure with a lock like that, the skewers and a cable through the seat it may be OK if I lock it by a busy enterance, not much more you can do really is there - short of chaining a pitbull to it.....
  • jon208 wrote:
    ^^^^^^ :lol::lol:

Very good

Unfortunatley I think I'm going to be getting a New York D lock as the bike is going to be left in an area which is fairly bad for bike theft. I figure with a lock like that, the skewers and a cable through the seat it may be OK if I lock it by a busy enterance, not much more you can do really is there - short of chaining a pitbull to it.....

Lock it next to a nicer bike, or a bike with a poorer lock, or both
    <a>road</a>
  • jon208
    Shame we have to think like this really - my Dad grew up in 1940s rural Lincolnshire and says he used to think nothing of riding his bike to the local train station - leaning the bike against a hedge (never contemplated a need to lock it) , going off for the day and getting back in the evening to always find his bike just where he left it. The concept of it not being there just never entered his head.

Then he went to College in Sunderland and some pikey nicked it in the first week......

When he was a kid the family mode of transport was a drum braked tandom with a side car for the children - would love to see one of those!
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    I carry my D lock in my back pack.

It is quite heavy but I think of added training. :lol:

I have the bracket to attach it to my bike but it doesnt fir in the Sirrus frame. :shock:
    FCN 10
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    can you leave it locked to something (rack? parking meter?) at work or do you need it at home too? Could you splash out on a lock at each end?

Just a thought
  • jon208
    Could do but I thought leaving a lock was a bit of a no no. Superglue in locks etc etc...
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    i leave a hefty chain lock at work and have the mini d incase i need to stop.

best thing is to never leave your bike where you cant see it or know it cant be got at. cos if the thieving cnuts want it, they will have it.

even £100 chains can be choped with croppers in less than a minute and they weigh a ton.

Ride a beater you dont mind (so much) getting nicked.

I have a £150 converted racer fixie i use for my commute/pub i got off ebay. id be fuming if it got nicked, but not as much as my £1000 mtb i use at the weekends.

;]
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    My D-Lock is mounted to a bracket on the seat tube and positioned so it doesn't intefere with my legs when cycling. Works well, and is one less thing to pack / carry / forget!

HTH - Rufus.
  • jon208
    WyS - That was the reason for getting bike I mentioned above - no way my carbon Scott Genius is seeing the streets of Leeds! :shock:

Unfortunately can't keep an eye on it as I work in a place without windows!

Thanks for all the advice folks - looking forward to getting some more bike time in, even if it is traffic dodging.

Jon
  • Gambatte
    Good thing about working as an engineer in a factory. Bring the bike inside with me and leave it in ‘development stores’. I do carry a decent cable lock in the saddlebag tho’. Never know when I’ll get the call to say we need something from the supermarket on the way back. If you do go for luggage of some sort, work out how much space you actually need.

Then double it.

When you’ve got the space theres always something else you’d like to carry as well. I thought I could manage with about 5 lt max.. This would give me some extra space..

The bags 7lt

It not too small, but I could definitely have done with a couple more lt.

Problem is – not everythings in easily packable shapes.

Having said that, the ‘Barley’ from Carradice is great. Especially love the ‘D’ rings on the lid. I strap the waterproof down to it, so I don’t need to disturb the main bag when I need it.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I attach my D-Lock to my seat tube, as mentioned previously. I also ride a horrible late 80s fluoro job that people would be unlikely to steal. My good bikes stay at home.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Gambatte
    baudman wrote:
    My good bikes stay at home.

Mines probably not expensive to others, but is to me.

I thought about a V cheap bike to do up, but seeing as I’m hopefully going to be on this in excess of 9 hours a week, it didn't seem too good an idea (for me)
  • Mine is on my frame but it's ever so fiddly to get back into its bracket sometimes (its an Abus that locks into the bracket) so I sometimes end up slinging it into the pannier instead.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    WyS wrote:
    mini d lock back pocket. handy for punching buses with.

D-lock justice... good man

I leave my d-lock where I park it every day just to carry as little as possible... I've a separate lock I use if I'm going somewhere else and that fits around my waist
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    As other people say mine is mounted to the seat tube too. I mount it to the side and rear :oops: so it doesn't interfere with my water bottle like this.
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Aidocp wrote:
    As other people say mine is mounted to the seat tube too. I mount it to the side and rear :oops: so it doesn't interfere with my water bottle like this.

Thats a great mounting place and I am going to give it a god over the weekend.

FCN 10
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    What about paying a friendly urchin to keep an eye on the bike for you? This is a major source of child employment in certain footballing towns. Reminds me of a story I heard about a trip to Villa...

" 'ere mister, give us a fiver to look after yer car durin' the match"

"It's alright son, there is a dog in there"

"Hmm....can the dog put out fires?"
  • Hi, nooby etc,

I have a folding bike, when it being a commuter it gets folded and under my desk... No lock required...
    All i wanna do is...