Pain in my bo!!ocks

Guyzie
Guyzie Posts: 79
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Ok, first off this is a question from my brother!

He's just got himself back into riding on a very nice Trek 5000, but is having some problems with "ball pain" on the right hand side which seems to extend upwards, vaguely in the direction of his appendix.

He's seen the doctor and taken a few weeks off the bike as suggested, but it's come back on his second outing thereafter.
He's riding approx 20 miles at a reasonable 15-16mph.

Anyone else experience similar problems?
Doesn't seem to be saddle sore and he's tried various saddles and positioning but no joy:-(

As far as I'm aware his balls are the same size, but I'd rather not have to check!

Cheers
Guy

Comments

• labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    Guyzie wrote:
    Ok, first off this is a question from my brother!

He's just got himself back into riding on a very nice Trek 5000, but is having some problems with "ball pain"

Try an Adamo Saddle - your balls hang off the front.

http://www.trybike.co.uk/carbon-bikes/seats-seatposts/

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kwell.html

http://www.blackwellresearch.com/pdf/adamo_setup.pdf

Amazing design - I can even ride in baggy shorts "commando" without getting tangled up.

I useually wear the customary lycra, but if it's a warm sunny day (what's that), and I just want to pop down the road I don't change.
  • A bit obvious - but does he wear decent fitting cycling shorts?
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Not sure what make, but I know he just bought a new pair of shorts the other day from the LBS so hopefully that part of the equation is taken care of.

I'm trying to get him sat in a slightly more upright position by flipping the handlebar stem.

Whilst he's pretty skinny I also wonder if it's just a case of a 40 year old having not done much exercise in a while taking time to get back in the "swing" of things.
  • labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    Guyzie wrote:
    Whilst he's pretty skinny I also wonder if it's just a case of a 40 year old having not done much exercise in a while taking time to get back in the "swing" of things.

I got back into "the swing" of things aged 55 with no pain - except when I skidded on wet leaves and came off!
  • dudi
    dudi Posts: 36
    I used to get much the same thing on my hybrid.. I was wearing cotton baggy shorts. after a fair distance they ride up and trap the balls... because they're made of a non stretch material it made them very tender... and if i rode for too long got quite painfull as if they were being squeezed in a vice...
    not nice.

good old fashioned stretch shorts and stretchy pants solved the problem.
  • sadle adjusted properly?

lower the nose of the saddle a bit perhaps?
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Wire brush and Dettol™ should toughen things up nicely :shock:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Saddle with a hole in the centre? They are really for relieving pressure on the perennial nerve (which extends back toward yer arse) but I wonder if that is the cause of his pain.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Is his saddle too high?

(I'm assuming he has a saddle - if not, that'll be the problem)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • As a doctor the history of right sided groin (you said the pain raiated to his "appendix")and testicle pain whilst cycling sounds suspicious of a hernia. Did the doctor he went to check him thoroughly for a small right inguinal hernia.

Does he get the pani when doing other forms of excersise.
  • hehe i cant help myself...
    the post is called "a pain in MY bo!!ocks" but u say its from "ur brother"....

I have a "friend" who has a problem..not me u understand...
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • Thanks NKIRUSSELL and everyone else for your thoughts.

Since he's not really doing any other exercise the pain only shows itself when on the bike.
    I've mentioned to him about the hernia and he's going to give the docs another go... it wasn't mentioned last time.

LIF, it is really my brother. He's just to tight to pay for his own tintanet connection!

Right, I'm off to RPM:-)

Cheers,
    Guy
  • my apologies
    was my last post of the evening - couldnt help it :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund