Glasses For Cross Country - Are They Essential?

2»

Comments

• i reckon theyre worth it - stops those dumbass flies from goin in your eyes at high speeds :evil:
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    I wear Adidas Elevations. The prescription is a seperate insert so you can still swap between clear, dark & orange lenses or take them out if you're wearing contact lenses. Not cheap or the best looking but they work well, plus you can transform them into light goggles.

http://www.urbanadventuregear.com/p430/Adidas-Elevation-Pro-Sunglasses/product_info.html?gclid=CNH-9v-25o4CFQYbEAodyX6TJA
    Bromski wrote:
    I've asked before on this forum but never seem to get a reply -

Does anyone wear prescription trail specs? I am looking for a recomendation.

I normally wear just my normal prescription glasses but there are times when I would like sun protection or high contrast.
  • I use these:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 6&id=82063

Made by Bolle, anti-scratch, anti-fog (although they will fog on very long climbs), and at £5.99 a bargain.

I think I got the idea from someone on this forum.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    As a contact lens wearer, glasses everytime. I've just got some cheap clear Oakley M-Frame rips offs from wiggle for £15 - do the job great!

I also suffer from the Mushroom head look (narrow slightly long head) so glasses help...
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    I wear specs or contact lenses, so only need eye protection if wearing the latter as spec wearers get some protection anyway. That said, I really only wear protection when mud or spray starts flying, otherwise I take them off and stick them in my pack or pocket.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Essential in my eyes (no oun intended)...I use Oakley Flak Jackets that I picked up for 100 bucks in Hawaii. And that was when we got $2 to the £. They also came with some free clear lenses and a cleaning kit.....which was nice.

Couldn't ride without them.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • I just use a cheapy pair of the clear Madison things. My eyes water like mad without them.
    Judging by the amount of mud I wipe off them, there probably worthwile for a bit of protection?
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Definitely worth it for keeping mud and grit out of your eyes. I'm very rarely without them, and as others have pointed out there are plenty of cheap options.
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Bought a set of cheapish bloc glasses 3 sets of plastic lenses bag and storage box for about £40. Dont wear them all the time but they do come in very handy when the trails gets wet and muddy
  • Yup, wear em when it's muddy, or if there's a lot of flies around. If I'm on the moors and it's dry and I'm not going too fast, I'll take them off.

I wear soft contact lenses and one of my routes takes me on a cinder track where a lot of people walk dogs, if its wet and I get spray in my eyes I often get an infection within 12 hours of going out. I assume dog piss is probably responsible, so I deffo wear them when it's wet.

I also try and keep my mouth shut!!!
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • mr boos
    mr boos Posts: 40
    whyamihere wrote:
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    Long climbs-they steam up.
    Get some anti-fog spray from a swimming shop. Works wonders.
    put a spot of washing up liquid on the inside of the lens,wipe over with kitchen roll and they should stop steaming up
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    zero303 wrote:
    As a contact lens wearer, glasses everytime. I've just got some cheap clear Oakley M-Frame rips offs from wiggle for £15 - do the job great!

I also suffer from the Mushroom head look (narrow slightly long head) so glasses help...

+1

It seems like if you wear lens's then the tinyest bit of dirt feels like a boulder in your eye socket!

I also have a funny shaped head :D
  • Normal prescription glasses with a rubber tube thing to stop them sliding off my face. I wear them because I can't see without them.
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    edited February 2009
    deleted - sorry - double post
  • Tank-slapper
    edited February 2009
  • Tank-slapper
    edited February 2009
  • Tank-slapper
    edited February 2009
  • deleted - sorry - double post

(LOL - that's one way of increasing your post count. If the powers that be want to delete them, please do)
  • honestly, I need them, i have sensitive eyes which have had many operations and just for the protection alone it's worth it.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs