Does size matter?

sejackans
sejackans Posts: 78
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
No not in that way

As a newbie and a short one at that (5ft 7) am i at a disadvantage with regards speeds etc as some one with a larger bike and longer legs. Or is it easier for a shorter legged person to do more revolutions

Just a thought

Comments

• With regards to 'no not THAT way' the answer is nearly always yes, especially if you include choices or parameters :wink::wink::wink:
    Still breathing.....
  • Intersting question...I would have thought that someone with a longer leg length in relation to body length would mean they were born with an advantage for cycling.
    I do seem to have noticed there is quite a lot of tall gangly pro cyclists nowadays, so maybe low body weight with long legs = speed. Stocky big shouldered types will obviously have more deadweight to have to ferry about....but Im sure someone will be along with a more scientific explanation!
  • You would have thought so but, Armstrong, Contador and the top five riders of this years tour are 5 10 or under.

Michael Rasmussen was about 5ft 9 as is Vinokourov and Moreni all done for doping offences. Landis last years winner! 5ft 9

My scientific analysis leads me to conclude short people cheat. Remember Maradona
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    sejackans wrote:
    You would have thought so but, Armstrong, Contador and the top five riders of this years tour are 5 10 or under.

Michael Rasmussen was about 5ft 9 as is Vinokourov and Moreni all done for doping offences. Landis last years winner! 5ft 9

My scientific analysis leads me to conclude short people cheat. Remember Maradona
    :lol:
  • Chris5150 wrote:
    Intersting question...I would have thought that someone with a longer leg length in relation to body length would mean they were born with an advantage for cycling.
    I do seem to have noticed there is quite a lot of tall gangly pro cyclists nowadays, so maybe low body weight with long legs = speed. Stocky big shouldered types will obviously have more deadweight to have to ferry about....but Im sure someone will be along with a more scientific explanation!

Chris Boardman was/is 5ft 9". So, not a shorty, but not a giant either. If you're smaller then you'll have less frontal surface area and therefore will be more aerodynamic.
  • sejackans wrote:
    No not in that way

As a newbie and a short one at that (5ft 7) am i at a disadvantage with regards speeds etc as some one with a larger bike and longer legs. Or is it easier for a shorter legged person to do more revolutions

Just a thought

"not in that way yes" for cycling "no" :D
  • popette
    sejackans wrote:
    No not in that way

Just a thought

"not in that way yes" for cycling "no" :D

agree :D
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I would think bigger people would have more power for the flat sections but smaller people would have the advantage on hills. Obviously a good big 'un will beat a rubbish little 'un regardless of the hill but in general I think that's how it works. That's why TT riders tend to be a bit stockier and climbers very waif like.
  • But would a good big un beat a good little un.
  • if ur bike fits u properly - long legs, short legs - nope its all relative :)
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Genrally, the big guys are suited to TT's and sprinting, whereas the little guys are better and climbing - but there are exceptions - Robbie McEwan and Paolo Bettini are both explosive sprinters and can mix it with the big guys. Cycling is probably a good leveller in terms of the morphology and the fact that there is no advantage to a particular body type, Equally, there have been some decent climbers like Indurain and Ullrich who are both pretty big - but then again, also co-incided with certain types of performance enhancements. The one fact that they do have in common is phenomenal aerobic capacity and are very lean.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • popette
    I should be a sprinter but I like going up hills.

Indurain wasn't on drugs was he?
  • Hey Monty, I think you've really already blown your own gneralisation, and that's not even mentioning 3 x World Champion Oscar Freire, for instance.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • i'm fairly short... wll lets just say, i'm under 5and a half foot... not sure of exact measurments.. and ive found i can keep pumping the hills more efficiently and longer than the taller riders... endurance is my speciality i feel... helps being smaller. good power to body weight ratio. i have a 50cm giant compact frame, this also helps on long hill slogs. highest gear ring on crank area, 2nd gear ring at back is my usual way for hills.
    smaller riders for hills, bigger riders for burst speed springs/down hills.
  • sejackans wrote:
    You would have thought so but, Armstrong, Contador and the top five riders of this years tour are 5 10 or under.

It's power to weight ratios. Guys like Boonen and Magnuson can develop higher absolute watts which is marvelous on relatively flat ground and low hills but it's game over in the mountains. Big Mig was an exception but he won his races by keeping his rivals in check on the climbs and annihilating everyone by minutes in the TT.

I did hear that proportionally long thighs are beneficia bio mechanically. Lance and Jan both shared this trait.