Spoiler: Vuelta Stage: whichever one we've got to today

ContrelaMontre
ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Giuseppi Guerini droppped out of the Vuelta today because he's very poorly! And that's it for his career - he said he'd retire after la Vuelta!

Always been a fan of his since he won on Alpe d'Huez! That was some win :lol:

Bonne route and chapeau Beppe :D

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster

Comments

• It looks like a rugby tackle in that picture!!!!!!!! :o

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Eric the Belgian and his fish-eye lens.....................wonder if the photo he got turned out to be a good one................would be a pity to go through all that and then find out he'd cut Guerini's head off when he got the prints back from Happy Snaps!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xoz4OflxQ

Shame it hasn't got Duffers' commentary. I remember it being rather... excitable.
  • Bronzie
    I love the way that having helped the stricken rider back off the deck, he gives him a half-hearted pat on the back rather than give him a good shove to get him moving again................someone else then dives in to do the job properly.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Eric the Belgian and his fish-eye lens.....................wonder if the photo he got turned out to be a good one................would be a pity to go through all that and then find out he'd cut Guerini's head off when he got the prints back from Happy Snaps!

I seem to remember Gary Imlach getting the pictures on the ITV (C4?) coverage. The first of them should have given it away that he was 'kinda' close, the second appeared to be taken on impact! Can anyone confirm that (I'm sure I didn't imagine it)? The pics must be somewhere on the interweb - everything's on there for God's sake!

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I searched but couldn't find them. Maybe cyclingnews could track the kid down down and publish them as part of a "Ciao Guerini" feature.
  • Benna wins!!!

Finally, FFS, finally I've broken my duck in la Vuelta!! The relief is palpable! Phew!

• Bronzie
    Good to see Big Magnus getting up there (5th today) in the sprints at the Vuelta - I never realised the big fella had such a gallop, always saw him as a "breakaway only" rider.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bronzie wrote:
    Good to see Big Magnus getting up there (5th today) in the sprints at the Vuelta - I never realised the big fella had such a gallop, always saw him as a "breakaway only" rider.

Didn't he finish 2nd in a TdF sprint last year? Behind McEwen, I think.

Anyway, sorry about being so negative, but I'm finding this Vuelta chronically boring. There's something to be said about putting a mountain stage in the first week to spice it up a bit, but don't put them all in the first week!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Anyway, sorry about being so negative, but I'm finding this Vuelta chronically boring. There's something to be said about putting a mountain stage in the first week to spice it up a bit, but don't put them all in the first week!

Word.

D-U-L-L.

The Giro get it right - Have a summit finish a few days in, but it's better to stack 'em high in the final week. And like Sastre says have a series of hard mountain days.

Luckily I recently got a pile of 90's Giro DVD's :)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.