1st claim 4 different clubs 4 different parts of the sport??

Kirky
Kirky Posts: 459
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Hi all, just a quick (I hope!!) question to put to the collective knowledge of the forums. Think this is the right place to put it - but not 100% sure!! Is it possible to ride a season in the UK as 1st claim to one club for TTing under CTT rules and 1st claim for another club when riding road races under BCF rules??

In theory it sounds like it should be OK as it's under the rules of two different governing bodies (providing the clubs involved agree) - but is there some annoying rule that means it can't be done??

Kirky
Las Vegas Institute of Sport

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Think I'm right in saying that you can't be 1st claim at 2 different clubs at the same time (stands to reason) - so you would have to end your 1st claim membership of 1 club to join the other 1st claim! In reality, the only way being 1st claim at 2 different clubs at once could cause a problem was if you were involved in an accident and questions were asked - but then how would governing bodies know you were 1st claim at 2 different clubs as they refuse to talk to each other anyway.

Best speak to the club secretarys involved and ask them to seek clarification from BC / CTT if necessary. Bet one or both of them have some petty rule to prevent it!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie wrote:
    Bet one or both of them have some petty rule to prevent it!

Oh dear.........how predictable...........from CTT website:

8. Club Membership
    A rider may only be a first claim member of one club and must enter Open and Semi-open events in the name of that club. A rider who changes his club after the closing date for entries must ride in the name of the new club but is not eligible for any team award. A rider may only change his first claim club once in any calendar year.

But BC are a little more helpful................

7.9.1 A rider may only be a first claim member of one club for all forms of road and track competition.
    7.9.2 A competitor in an open event may only enter and compete in the name of his first claim club, as an individual member, or as a member of a National, Region or Association representative team.
    7.9.3 When changing his first claim club a member must immediately send his Federation membership certificate to Federation Headquarters for the change to be made. The membership certificate will be forwarded to the Secretary of the new Club.
    7.9.4 A rider may apply to include more than one club or team on his competition licence where he wishes to ride for different clubs or teams in different disciplines. All such clubs or teams must be affiliated to British Cycling or another UCI affiliated Federation.
  • Kirky
    I thought that might be the case - however, does this refer ONLY to events under CTT rules?? As there would be no need to change 'claims' for TT events in a single year. This has all come about as someone I know has been approached to ride for a TTing team - and they only affiliate to the CTT (not BCF) due to the cost of affiliating to the BCF when they don't actually need to!! However he still wants to ride the odd road race, and wants to know if he can stick to his current club whilst road racing under BCF rules (and therefore gain points for the club) but ride for this other team when it comes to riding TT events under CTT rules!!

Question is, can he do that??

One last question - why is our sport so flippin complicated?? No wonder we struggle to attract both riders and sponsors!!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Well clearly they do need to if they are going to be taking on riders who want to ride RRs as well. If they are such a tight club that they won't cough off up the £80-ish to join the BC, I'd recommend he doesn't join the miserable buggers.

How a club registers to a governing body really has nothing to do with attracting riders or sponsers, they needn't know or get involved thats the club secretaries job.
  • Kirky
    Think the problem is the cost of registering as a BCF team - it's more for sponsored teams (think it's closer to a couple of hundred), and as all the other riders concentrate on TTs (and that's what the sponsor wants) he's just trying to weigh up his options.

I'll let him know that it's probably more hassle than it's worth. I guess he could always ride BCF events as a private member just to be on the safe side!! That or ride TLI events, they don't really seem to care!!
  • Bronzie
    Kirky wrote:
    I thought that might be the case - however, does this refer ONLY to events under CTT rules??

You'd have to speak to your CTT Regional Secretary for an answer I think.
    Kirky wrote:
    One last question - why is our sport so flippin complicated??

Petty infighting due to a long and troubled history between the various governing bodies protecting their own interests!

As you state Kirky, club affilition for sponsored clubs depends on the number of sponsors on the kit - our club has 2 named sponsors and the BC club membership is £172 - CTT affiliation is similar but only a handful of our riders do time trials each year so we may not bother next season.
  • Kirky
    Cheers for all the info, another membership related question for you (sorry - I get all of them!!). What's the deal with riding as a 'guest' for another club?? I hear of people doing it all of the time, but don't actually know how it works / what you need to put on your entry forms etc, etc.

For example (and it isn't me that's good enough to be asked to ride for another team!!)....
    A rider (X) who is 1st claim to CLUB-A gets asked by TEAM-B to ride a single event for them in their team colours. Both CLUB-A and TEAM-B are affiliated to the sports governing bodies (i.e. BCF). X agree's to ride for TEAM-B for one event. So....
    1) How does he fill in his race entry form? What club does he put down on that form?
    2) Does he need to join TEAM-B as a 2nd claim member to enable him to ride as a guest for them?
    3) Will he still gain ranking points from the event personally, and which team / club will get any ranking points he earns in that one event?? CLUB-A or TEAM-B??

I've tried to go through the rules to find this out - but I fell asleep!!

KIRKY
  • Bronzie
    Definitely one for BC Membership Services 0161-274-2010. They get paid to answer questions like this!
  • Kirky
    Bronzie wrote:
    Definitely one for BC Membership Services 0161-274-2010. They get paid to answer questions like this!

Hadn't even thought of that!! Will call them on Monday and ask. There must be someway it can be done as it happens all the time!!

KIRKY
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Kirky wrote:
    Hi all, just a quick (I hope!!) question to put to the collective knowledge of the forums. Think this is the right place to put it - but not 100% sure!! Is it possible to ride a season in the UK as 1st claim to one club for TTing under CTT rules and 1st claim for another club when riding road races under BCF rules??

In theory it sounds like it should be OK as it's under the rules of two different governing bodies (providing the clubs involved agree) - but is there some annoying rule that means it can't be done??

Kirky

course you can, done it myself.
    TT for 1 club, RR for another and rode in audax`s for a third.
    there is no problem at all with this. various governing bodies will tell you, you can only be the first claim member of 1 club but that s within their discipline.
    look at it another way. it`s like playing darts for 1 pub team ,pool for another and football for the village team. 3 different sports ,3 different governing bodies. just the same with cycling .3 different disciplines ,3 different governing bodies.none of which ,have any duristriction over the other disciplines.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Kirky
    Just phoned membership services and according to them you have to change the club you are registered with (at a cost of £4) and then change it back to your previous club after the event (costing another £4). This can be done as many times as you'd like, it just costs!! The points will stay with whoever you score them for.

That actually makes it all nice and simple, although it will cost £8 each time - at least you then know exactly what's going on what colours you should be in!! I guess the term 'guesting' basically means because a rider is being loaned to another team and it's not a permanent move - even if they have to keep chopping in their licence!!

From what they said you have to be 1st claim to a team for a certain discipline - therefore I would assume you can ride for different clubs under BCF rules for MTB, road and cross!!

KIRKY