Cold head / ears night riding

nickcuk
nickcuk Posts: 275
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
How do you stop your ears from getting cold on the chilly night rides ? My helmet is too snug to slip a warm hat underneath it

Comments

• I use a buff. Nice and thin!! :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MC shop and ask for a Schampa skullcap.

http://www.schampa.com/

really nice and thin but warm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Usually it's the wind that's the problem, so often a simple lycra headband (like skiers use) that covers a lot of the exposed parts of the ear can be really helpful and comfortable. But if it's really cold then the skull cap.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Merino skullcap. VERY thin. Nice and cozy, but also wicks like a buff. I have two (coz I thought I lost one and bought another).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Ive got two options a thin lycra head band thing that covers the ears and seems to do the job very well and peaked cycling cap that also fits well under my helmet and covers my ears but is a little too warm at the moment. ITs amazing how much thin material really can make all the difference over the ears.
  • Streak
    Streak Posts: 163
    If it's really cold (I have bother with my ears and face getting cold) I use a cheap but also very effective Balaclava from ARCO, they provide work place clothing. It's not too thick, and can be positioned easily for different effect, but is probably too warm for long commutes/rides.

Streak
    I'm not so twp as to not know I'm twp.
    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/ju ... Patten.htm
  • mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    Earbags http://www.earbags.com/index.php. Ideal if you find a skull cap too hot but you still need warm ears.
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • Another vote for a buff, ridiculously overpriced for what they are but indispensible with a multitude of uses.
  • nicklouse
    Mmm earbags.

can't say i have actually seen any in use. But as they are based just north of Stockholm that might be why. Interesting idea though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Another vote for the buff, or hedy in my case :D
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I'd vote for a skull-cap.

I have one and when I commute in winter I have a 'sock-line' across my forehead until about 11.00. Looks like a lobotomy scar. As effective at work as I am at the moment and it may as well be!
  • mossycp
    nicklouse wrote:
    Mmm earbags.

can't say i have actually seen any in use. But as they are based just north of Stockholm that might be why. Interesting idea though.

Yes, they can look slightly odd, but then I'm dressed in full lycra gear and riding a bike so must be slightly odd anyway!
    There are very similar versions that work like earmuffs with a band going over or around the head but I can't remember the name.
    Seriously, earbags work really well, especially if, like me, you suffer from cold ears but don't want a hot head. Get the ones with the string so that they can attach to the helmet straps though, some have flown off in the past!

I also have a buff but I only use that for the coldest of days.
  • Another buff vote here.

My ears hurt very easily, doesn’t have to be that cold. And the thin little buffer sorts them, no matter how cold it gets. And when it gets really / early mornings cold you can fold it round your face balaclava style so you’re not breathing in freezing air.

And if you have Marco Pantani style locks, you can wear it in the summer (doesn’t get sweaty) to stop your bonce burning.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    A skull cap is what you need. My ears are always warm in these autumn winds, I have two, a De Marchi and a Polaris, and the Polaris is better than the DM.
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    I wear a buff all the time under my helmet. It keeps my head warm in winter and the wind out of my ears - important for me to stop me from getting headaches in winter. If it gets really cold, then it can be used as a balaclava.
    In the summer, it helps to keep your head cool if you get it soaking wet in water. It also stops the top of my head getting burnt (I'm lacking in hair).

The other advantage is that it stop the helmet getting too sweaty and therefore smelly - you just need to wash the buff afterwards.

Very definitely a useful thing to have.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Or

Motorcycle shop for silk balaclava. ideal.

Jim.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I'm a BUFF fan too!!

Not cheap, but the Polertec one really keeps you snug and warm.

Good to put your BUFF on Ninja eyes only style in extream cold!

If your handy on a sewing machine you could probably knock one up quite easily!

Stu
  • Ok there is links to skull caps & ear bags in this thread, but the most popular solution seems to be a 'buff' ....ok Im sure Im being dim here but what exactly is a buff?
  • mossycp
  • cheers mossy...might have to try one if they are so popular
  • I wear a Buff (well, a Hedy from Halfords for £9 - same thing) to keep my head from burning in strong sunshine in Summer and block the first chills out in Winter.

For proper cold I use one of these and never get cold after maybe the first 30 seconds' riding. Great value.
    Endura Skullcap

If you want lots of choice, check this page out:
    Various headgear

Hope this helps.
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Thanks guys. I've ordered a reflective road Buff. Will the babe in the biker demo video clip deliver it ? ( I know she's the same girl in the summer buff demo but she's in a better position in the biker buff clip )
  • nicklouse
    edited September 2007
    just found this of mine for when it gets really cold out here.

47126.jpg
    with a skull cap on top.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    just found this of mine for when it gets really cold out here.

47126.jpg
    with a skull cap on top.

Nick the biking Ninja! :wink:

Or is that the Biking Batman? :?
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Another buff wearer here. I've ridden in the snow before with it on and it was ok, which is more than can be said for the slightly more exposed parts of my body :lol: