steerer tube

dolby1471
dolby1471 Posts: 13
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
hey guys.

i have jus put some new forks onto my bike and i want to put the old ones onto my girlfriends bike, but the steerer tube is too short.

is there any way of swapping the steerer tubes over?

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • only if the steerer is bolted into the crown of the forks....i have taken a steerer tube out before, but that involves bashing the steerer with a hammer, not a good idea, if the forks wont fit, then keeping the old forks or getting another pair are your only options.
  • nicklouse
    Dark_Biker wrote:
    only if the steerer is bolted into the crown of the forks....i have taken a steerer tube out before, but that involves bashing the steerer with a hammer, not a good idea, if the forks wont fit, then keeping the old forks or getting another pair are your only options.

not actually correct.

if you have the correct tools and parts it quite posible. But it does depend on what the Fork (s) are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    can i remove suntour xcr's?
  • nicklouse
    not worth it. will cost as much as the fork.
  • deanvw
    even if ive got a new steerer anyway?
  • nicklouse
    explain.

where did this new steerer come from?
  • deanvw
    local bike shop
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I don't think you mean steerer, do you mean stem? I can't imagine a bike shop selling a steerer tube for a budget fork.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • deanvw
    you know the pole which comes out of the top of the forks which are attached to the stem! lol! The steerer is a universal fitting.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    OK, you've got me. So either your steerer is clamped in place with bolts (I doubt it) or it's "frozen" in. So you either need to undo the bolts and replace the steerer if it's clamped

Or if it's an intereference fit, you need to induction heat the crown and press the old steerer out using your hydraulic press, before induction heating the crown again whilst freezing the steerer in your liquid nitrogen. Once both have achieved the desired temperature......

Buy a new fork!
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • deanvw
    um yeh. ill put a bmx stem on there..that will be fine