Humour: A Passing ScoreBy Elden "The Fat Cyclist"

Pagem
Pagem Posts: 244
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
brilliant little article. really tickled me.

worht a read - look on the homepage.
Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.

Comments

• Struck a chord with me. I was doing laps of Regent's Park on Sat when overtaken by a guy in club kit on a nice Colnago. Tried like mad to catch him then got a lucky break and re-passed him when he had been balked by a car reverse parking.

Soon enough he catches me back up, pulls alongside & starts up a conversation. Meanwhile gradually increasing the pace. And increasing. And increasing. Still chating away happily (he was American thus happy to talk to random strangers).

Within half a mile I am utterly broken and break off with a strangled cry, as he cycles serenely off into the distance :oops:
    <a>road</a>
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I had the re-passing one done to me. I overtook some guy on a flash MTB on my commute one morning and straight away he upped his pace and sat right on my back wheel for a couple of miles until we reached a bit of an uphill drag, whereupon he burned past me and headed off into the distance.

I wasn't trying to wind him up – I was just late for work! :roll:

At one point I passed a friend headed for work in the opposite direction and later he said "who was that guy following? He was right behind like he was in a derny race". :lol:
  • I overtook a guy going up quite a steep hill the other day. I wasn't trying to race him or anything, I was just going faster than he was. I said hello as I went past (2 Points). About half a mile further on as I reached the summit, he came flying past all red and billowing. He turned off a little further on - I imagine he was throwing up in the gutter.

I also got raced by a 12 year old girl on a shopper type bike last winter. I was just coming home from a gruelling 50 miler and had no energy for the battle. I was on the verge of shouting - Yeah but, How far have you been? - as she was pulling away ever so slightly. Thankfully for me she ran out of puff about 100 yards on and I was able to limp into the distance with my pride intact.

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • Not the "ugly Kit" again.........

Brilliant work, and a great addition to this site. I will check in more frequently now, at least weekly! :lol:

ED: Please put a more noticeable link on this column for faster access!!! Thanks! :D

http://austin07.livestrong.org/mlevin
  • Glad you guys liked Elden's work. We're very very pleased to have him contributing to BikeRadar.

We'll try and work 'Fat Cyclist' into the link in future so you can spot new postings, but the problem with that is that the very few words we have as link text have to appeal to as many people as possible. 'Fat Cyclist' only means something to those already in the know.

But if it goes to plan, a humour column on a Tuesday will be Elden, so you know what to look out for.
    John Stevenson
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    You've got to get some big points for passing a teenager on a 50cc motorbike. I've done it a couple of times in my dim and distant past.