Recommend me a Saddle Bag

Zain
Zain Posts: 80
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hi people

I'm looking to buy a saddle bag to carry a small tool kit and perhaps more.

Any recommendations would be helpful. Budget circa £30

thanks for your time

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I bought a http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ddle%20Bag as it included the basic trail tools. The tools themselves are OK although the chain splitter is a bit fiddly but not like you use that on a regular basis. Topeak ones have the little pouch thing on the back for clipping Topeak rear LEDs onto to which I find really handy.
  • Zain
    which can result in diy kidney surgery if you fall off!
    lol

Thanks for the quick reply. Funily enough I was looking at the same thing earlier today.

Just wanted some feedback from you guys before I commited to anything though.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    These are GREAT! So small, but can still hold quite a bit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ddle%20Bag
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    baudman wrote:
    These are GREAT! So small, but can still hold quite a bit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ddle%20Bag

seconded
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I too have a Specialized but the next one up in size.

Its like the Tardis, much bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside. So far it holds 2 inner tubes, 3 tyre levers, 1 Topeak Alien RX 16, 1 multisize spoke key, 1 puncture repair kit , couple of latex gloves, shower cap and one bit of old tyre (for emergency in case tyre splits).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I got a YPK from Wiggle, (one of there highly recommended) for occasional use, and it's great, plenty of space and easily clip off-and-onable.
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    bahzob wrote:
    ...couple of latex gloves, shower cap

wow, your rides sound very homoerotic.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    pagem wrote: "wow, your rides sound very homoerotic."

:D

Sadly more mundane. Just to avoid getting dirty and wet.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Zain
    Thanks for your input people

I'm probably going to go for one of the specialized jobbies as I already have the alien tool kit etc
    But, I'm going to need a suitable mini pump. I think it would look much neater than my normal pump with cable ties :)
    Any recommendations on a pump?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • The specialized looks good. Mine is not a specialized or water resistant but that is and its a useful bonus if you put your phone or paper money in there. Even tools get damp and will rust. I put stuff like that in a polythene bag inside mine now.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I got a Specialized one which may be larger than the one shown in the link above. A word of caution - the one I ended up with does indeed cause chaffing - one set of leggings are banjaxed because of this.

With regards to a pump, I picked up a CO2 cannister / valve connector set and a couple of spares - no more pump for me - not having used one before, am I missing something important on this?!!

Peter
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Only the "more p*nctures than cannisters" scenario, I think.

And whether that's a new issue depends on whether you'd normally carry patches as well as spare tubes.
  • northpole wrote:
    I got a Specialized one which may be larger than the one shown in the link above. A word of caution - the one I ended up with does indeed cause chaffing - one set of leggings are banjaxed because of this.

With regards to a pump, I picked up a CO2 cannister / valve connector set and a couple of spares - no more pump for me - not having used one before, am I missing something important on this?!!

Peter

There are two issues : make sure you inflate slowly with the CO2 - otherwise (like me first time) you end up with a lot of frost and not much air in the tyre and long walk home....
    The other issue is when i went into LBS with the used one and asked if they had a recycling bin for them, i got a look like i was from Mars. Shame to throw such a nice chunk of metal away like that...

cheers