What gear, No Idea?!

Robinio
Robinio Posts: 59
edited September 2007 in XC and Enduro
I have just parted with lots of cash (for me) and got myself an excellent deal on an Orange Crush.
I'm looking to do rides that I can spend a day on etc.

What gear would I need for some serious XC riding? Everything such as riding clothes etc would be great!

Many Thanks,

Robin

Comments

• For starters, how about a helmet? oh and some suitable eye wear too :)
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Hydration Pack, SPD shoes for serious XC, gloves, jersey, shorts...
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Multi tool, pump, spare inner tube tyre patches...
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • just take tyre levers and spare inner tubes, not patches - theyre more trouble then theyre worth, and annoyingly time consuming. it makes way more sense to take spare inners especially as inners are 2 for £2 at decathlon!
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Helmet
    Gloves (Summer and winter)
    Jersey
    Shorts (Baggies with lycra underneath)
    Bib tights (for winter)
    Thermals (If its really cold)
    Waterproof jacket (windproof as well)
    SPD Shoes (sealskinz socks for the winter)

Hydration Pack (Camelbak are very good)
    Spare Tubes
    Multi Tool
    Tyre Levers (Metal ones)
    Pump
    Spare chainlink
    Shock pump (If your forks or shock uses air)
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    just take tyre levers and spare inner tubes, not patches - theyre more trouble then theyre worth, and annoyingly time consuming. it makes way more sense to take spare inners especially as inners are 2 for £2 at decathlon!

what? if you have a mare on a long ride and flat more than the number of tubes you have then you'll have to call for the team car. patches are perfect and quick to use if you get the right ones. they are not cumbersome to carry and could make all the difference between staying out on the ride or sitting waiting for the mrs to pick you up. i for one take 2 tubes and a decent repair kit. much rather that than lug around loads of heavy bulky tubes.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • Pagem
    Sir HC wrote:

for xc? i wouldn't bother. much more comfortable in lycra shorts since they don't crease as heavily as baggies and they are less likely to get caught on bushes etc when riding on fast single track sections.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Pagem wrote:
    Sir HC wrote:

for xc? i wouldn't bother. much more comfortable in lycra shorts since they don't crease as heavily as baggies and they are less likely to get caught on bushes etc when riding on fast single track sections.

But lycra looks ridiculous! I will never buy any lycra clothing on that reason alone. Fair do's if you're racing or whatever, but even if I was to race baggies would be the only way to go.
  • Cheers, I now have a basic idea.

What about footwear? Would I be right in going for some Merrell Chameleons or similar?
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Robinio wrote:
    Cheers, I now have a basic idea.

What about footwear? Would I be right in going for some Merrell Chameleons or similar?

They'll do the job - I use a pair of Merrells, they keep my feet dry and the soles stick to the pedals well. They are also great for walking the dog.
  • get a buff headware thing. I love mine not only does it come in a variety of colours etc... but it keeps my head dry and cool and fits well under my helmet (and compared to everything else they are pretty cheap)
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Pagem wrote:
    Sir HC wrote:

Lycra doesn't hold up well in crashes and looks awful, unless you are a good looking female.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Sir HC wrote:
    .........unless you are a good looking female.

Amen to that! I'm not on the small skinny side either!
  • Pagem
    Sir HC wrote:
    Pagem wrote:
    Sir HC wrote:

Lycra doesn't hold up well in crashes and looks awful, unless you are a good looking female.

i'm good looking and male and the chicks dig it.

unless you come off on the road lycra is fine for crashes. improve your bike handling and you dont have to worry about such things...