how to choose a brooks?

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
obviously those with springs are for maximum comfort, but how do you choose beteen others ,b17 standard and narrow, swallow, team pro etc? and is it worth paying for titanium, it seems a lot of money for a few grams?

Comments

• I've used a B17 narrow for years and love it. I have also ridden bikes with the sprung saddles and the standard B17. However I must confess I am now bewildered by the range of options Brooks now seems to offer.

My experience is that the narrow B17 is better for road riding or fast touring, and is less likely to chafe than the standard B17. However as ever, these things are often a matter of personal preference, so if you have a good LBS I would urge you to try the different saddles.

The sprung saddle is good for pootling around town, but not much more.

Personally I think the titanium saddle is only for people who are obsessive about weight, or have more money than sense. I am sure there are better things to spend your money on if you want to improve performance or reduce weight.

Having said that, if someone offered me one as a birthday present I wouldn't say no :wink:
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I use the team pro. I thought the B17 would not look right on my road bike, too wide.

Very happy with it, in fact, over the weekend I did 25 miles x 2 without padded shorts and I was fine. I thought I would be a bit sore but I was fine :lol:

Rick
  • julk
    julk Posts: 55
    When I was younger I used a Swift then B17 narrow and standard saddles.
    These saddles suited an initial racing style of riding which evolved into touring/commuting with a slightly more upright position.

I have now matured into using a Conquest which takes me happily on a 50 mile day with a fully loaded tourer. As I have aged my riding position has become more upright and I appreciate the springs which absorb some of the road bumps.
    how do you choose beteen others ,b17 standard and narrow, swallow, team pro etc?

Based on my experience I would recommend a narrower longer saddle for a racing type position, a shorter wider saddle for a more upright position with a sprung saddle for when you need the extra comfort.
    The width of your 'sit bones' will also give you an indication of which model to go for when there are some which look similar.

The Brooks leather saddle is smooth, cool, hard and slippy to sit on and is quite different to a plastic/gel type saddle. It is worth breaking one in to get the long term comfort as they last for years with some protection from the rain.
  • personally, coming from a mountain biking background, am used to bumps coming up through the saddle and use a brooks B17 on my road bike,

however, i fear that it is not at the correct angle

has anyone had experience of blisters from bad saddle adjustment, kind of where you reall really dont want them?

i'm hoping it is a blister otherwise i need to go to the hospital!
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    has anyone had experience of blisters from bad saddle adjustment, kind of where you reall really dont want them?

i'm hoping it is a blister otherwise i need to go to the hospital!
    If it was my undercarriage in question, I would GO AND SEE A DOCTOR, no question...

It's too much fun to be without... :)
  • might be a good idea mighhtent it?
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday