preparation for a 50

on2wheels
on2wheels Posts: 102
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I'm doing a 50 mile charity ride early next month, done a couple of 40 mile runs but never the big 50.

Could anyone give advice on what to eat/drink the day before, on the bike and after.

Also what training should I do leading up to the event

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Generally speaking I'd say if you have done a few 40 milers, 50 miles isn't going to be too hard, just use the same tactics as you do on your 40 miler.

I had done a few 34 milers, then I went for the big 50. Went quite well, and then in the last 2 miles or so I went absolutely DEAD. Funnily enough I ran out of drink at about the same time.

In a word make sure you have enough drink to last the entire journey, and as you can imagine dont rush the hills. I hammered it up quite a few hills on my cycle, and I get the feeling that if I had have taken it a little bit gentler, I would have got through the whole 50 with no problem.

you're probably ready for it, do more pedalling less keyboard tapping :P

May also suggest, if say you leave for it at mid day, Personally (althrough only personally) I'd go for a 6 mile or so ride at about 8-9ish. Loosen ya up ready?

Only done 1 50 miler and a few 34 milers, so dont take my word for granted... just my 2p
  • You should be ok on a 50 miler without too much trouble. I would get up at 9'ish eat a good breakfast composed of quaker oats with honey and a couple of muffins. Set off at 10.30 ish, couple of 800 ml water bottles, one with just water in and one with a GO solution in. Stop at 25 miles & consume a Powerbar to make sure your still going strong for the second half.
    PS I say stop at 25 miles for the powerbar becuase I have never figured out how to get the wrapper off one and eat it whilst cycling!
  • Chris5150 wrote:
    You should be ok on a 50 miler without too much trouble. I would get up at 9'ish eat a good breakfast composed of quaker oats with honey and a couple of muffins. Set off at 10.30 ish, couple of 800 ml water bottles, one with just water in and one with a GO solution in. Stop at 25 miles & consume a Powerbar to make sure your still going strong for the second half.
    PS I say stop at 25 miles for the powerbar becuase I have never figured out how to get the wrapper off one and eat it whilst cycling!

You open it before you set off, then its easy to eat on the move... :)
  • The big thing to consider when considering long runs is the sugar level of your blood. Best the evening before to have a Pasta-based meal and follow this up with porridge for breakfast. Top up during the rides with some oat-based snacks and drink plenty of water, even when you think that you're not thirsty.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I recently did a 55 mile charity ride and had only done up to 32 miles in training before (usually only around 20). I thought I'd be in a lot more trouble than I was the last 10 miles but I didn't have any problems (didn't seem harder than the 30 mile ride TBH). You have to make sure you're drinking and eating enough though. I ate 3 Clif energy bars + a banana on the ride and porridge + a banana for breakfast. I drunk a fair bit of water (was a hot day), probably 6 or 7 litres, should have drunk more really. The problem is as much the time on the bike as the distance in a charity ride (assuming you aren't going to be racing it).
  • I'd agree with previous comments about the previous night pasta and pre event porridge. Aim to eat this about 2 hours before the event. You should be good with the two water bottles one with High 5 (or equiv) mix. Try runs with energy bars such as SIS go or High 5 energy and open this first. Instead of eating this at once, try taking a bite every 20 mins or so (you shouldnt need it for the first 45 mins) . This should hold you through no prob. Above all try this before the event over a run. At the distance you're doing, you'll be fine. At the end of the day, others will carry you on and no doubt you're raising money for a good cause, ENJOY :lol: