What would you do?

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited September 2007 in Campaign
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6998086.stm

What are these proven methods to increase cycling - proficiency tests and ???? In relation to the above link, how would you push for an increase in cycling?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need a cycle path network that works.

so that people can get to where they need to be safely. Not easy in the UK and its lack of space.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Impose a 20mph limit in built up areas. Then cycling would be less hazardous.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I think you need to remove the perceived and/or actual dangers from cars. What about educating drivers with a proper campaign and also draconian and controversial measures too those who fail to pay heed ie removal of licence and car scrapped - ultimately jail? It would maybe make drivers think more and be more concentrated whilst driving. I am still of the opinion that far too many drivers think that they are capable of multitasking when driving a car and don't treat driving as a privilege!!!
  • I very much doubt drivers would stick to a 20mph limit in built up areas. Improving cycle lanes would encourage a lot of people i think. But only if it was done in an integrated way. ie, we don't want the odd pathetic cycle lane, we want a city/town wide cycle network.

I have a situation on my commute where there are traffic islands every 70 to 80 metres along a 2 mile stretch of road which is a 40 mile limit. So unless i pull out into primary for each traffic island (difficult on a 40 mph road, although made easier due to rush hour slowing it down) i get squeezed. Th ridiculous thing is the pavement is about 4m wide with an extra 4 metres of grass to the side of the road. Situations like this would intimidate a lot of potential new cyclists