Repairing tyres post puncture?

RoseZella
RoseZella Posts: 18
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

I got 2 flat tyres today, both on the back wheel, about 25km apart on my way home fom work. I think the first puncture dammaged the actual tyre which is what caused the second.

I was wondering if it is worth repairing the actual tyre (and how) or is it not worth my while, should I just buy a new tyre?

While I'm at it, do you fellow riders repair punctured tubes and if so do you find they are more likely to go flat on you again?

Thanks all :lol:

Comments

• if the first one damaged the tyre enough to cause the second.... then i think thats really bad luck! :?

although... did you check the tyre to make sure you got out all of whatever caused the first? I made that mistake earlier ths year when I thought I got out the bit of glass... but no. 300 yards later... second puncture. This tends to be the normal cause of a second puncture...

i'd have a look at the tyre and see how much damage is done... is it a road tyre? what type? what width?

for future rides, maybe its worth carrying a boot? its a bit of tyre or denim or something like that, that you put in between the tube and tyre where the damage is to protect the tube.

personally i don't repair tubes... they're cheap as chips and i just carry two spares at all times. Although I know some guys on here do and are perfectly happy with the repaired ones. I just don't have a lot of confidence in my repair skills! :D

marty
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • RoseZella wrote:
    Hey guys,

I got 2 flat tyres today, both on the back wheel, about 25km apart on my way home fom work. I think the first puncture dammaged the actual tyre which is what caused the second.

I was wondering if it is worth repairing the actual tyre (and how) or is it not worth my while, should I just buy a new tyre?

While I'm at it, do you fellow riders repair punctured tubes and if so do you find they are more likely to go flat on you again???

I'd just replace the tyre. Also make sure that your tyres are properly inflated. I had my first puncture on Saturday :x I was only carrying one of those sprays that are supposed to repair the tube and inflate the tyre. It didn't work :evil: After the 12 mile walk home and went to my LBS who was a star. He replaced the tube there and then dispite it being a busy Saturday afternoon and talked through the various options on dealing with the dreaded punctures. I've now replaced the crappy spray with a spare tube and a neat little lightweight pump. :)
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • RoseZella wrote:
    Hey guys,

While I'm at it, do you fellow riders repair punctured tubes and if so do you find they are more likely to go flat on you again???

My record for number of punctures on one ride is seven. I would suggest learning to fix them. The only crucial thing to remember is allow enough time for the glue to dry before you put the patch on. If you put the patch on too soon, it won't hold.

And, as has already been pointed out, get rid of whatever it was that caused the first puncture, so it won't cause another

Jeremy Parekr
  • You should be able to see whether the tyre is damaged. Was the inner tube holed in the same place? If so then the tyre is either damaged or you didn't get the offending sharp out.
    Even if you fixed it 100% the probability of you puncturing again is the same.
    I tend not to repair my tubes, I pass them on to others who do! I don't think it's worth the hassle, I only suffer a couple of punctures a per year, I put that down to 1) keeping my tyres in good condition and regularly replacing them and 2) looking where I ride - keep out of the gutter.
  • yep - tyre pressure is a big factor.
    i dont repair flats at the time of P"$%^&()$ (dont say the "p" word please) i always carry a spare but i do keep repaired 1's as a back up.
    I dont carry a boot but do carry a victorinox with scissors so can (and have) make 1 out of a plastic milk carton/pop bottle which let me carry on my ride.
    Good Luck and Be Fecund