Marmotte 2008?

brad68
brad68 Posts: 883
Does anyone know when the Marmotte will be held in 2008, I think it is usually the first weekend of the tour?
Bc

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I rang the tourist info office in Bourg the other week to find out, and was told that they don't know until it's released on the web site, benginning of January.

I'm hoping it's the first Saturday in July cos I've booked accomodation on that basis.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I'm up for the Marmotte in 2008. It will be hard but I am looking forward to it already.
    Brian B.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    5th July 2008 according to Ken Knight on the thread in the "Beginners" section:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1&start=15

I have put my name down to do the Marmotte with a few other guys from our club and Bicester Millennium - looking forward to it in a bizarre masochistic sort of way!! :shock:
  • Bronzie wrote:
    5th July 2008 according to Ken Knight on the thread in the "Beginners" section:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1&start=15

I have put my name down to do the Marmotte with a few other guys from our club and Bicester Millennium - looking forward to it in a bizarre masochistic sort of way!! :shock:

Hi Bronzie.
    A couple of us are looking at maybe doing the Marmotte then head off to Italy for the Pinarello fondo :D Either that or 8 days in Dolomites then Fondo.
  • Bronzie and David

I am up for the Marmotte next year. Perhaps we can travel as a group going because we all live close to each other.

Jim
  • I think it's 5th July.

I plan to go next year too. There are a few races on in that area in the week leading up to La Marmotte - Le Vaujany cyclosportive, the Trophee des Grandes Rousses (40km race taking in Alpe d'huez), and the Grimpee de L'alpe the day after La Marmotte.

It might be worth getting there in time to do all of them. Now that'd be a challenge !

http://www.2wheelchick.blogspot.com/
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    airegin wrote:
    ... and the Grimpee de L'alpe the day after La Marmotte.

Yeah right. [rubs chin] Anyone who can even see the day after let alone walk let alone ride must be on something. OK I exaggerate but only a bit. I'm planning to do all but the Grimpee.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Having done the Marmotte this year I can say that one tough event, and if you bonk, even harder. (A Maxim bar will only get you from hairpin 17 to 2 which I didn't think was too bad.)
    Paul
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    airegin wrote:
    I think it's 5th July.

I plan to go next year too. There are a few races on in that area in the week leading up to La Marmotte - Le Vaujany cyclosportive, the Trophee des Grandes Rousses (40km race taking in Alpe d'huez), and the Grimpee de L'alpe the day after La Marmotte.

It might be worth getting there in time to do all of them. Now that'd be a challenge !

http://www.2wheelchick.blogspot.com/

I signed up for all four events this summer, and found

-the Vaujany surprisingly hard-400 entrants?
    -Prix de Grand Rousses OK-wet midweek morning, snow/sleet on the Alpe (early July!)-100 entrants

-Marmotte, as expected, though the chaos on the descent of the Glandon didn't happen-a very hard day

-Grimpe Alpe-no way the day after the Marmotte

I may be arranging a bikers' week, including transfers, accommodation, food and support-pm me if you are interested
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • jimmoffatt wrote:
    Bronzie and David

I am up for the Marmotte next year. Perhaps we can travel as a group going because we all live close to each other.

Jim
    Will speak to you soon.
    I a,m still up for a few days in Italy also before fondo.
    If the dates match I would do Marmotte then maybe drive up to Italy from there.
    i am in Germany this week again so not riding at all and we have the Autumn epic next week and I race this Sunday !!!!
  • David

Where is your race on Sunday? Is it Whitwell?

I won a Vets RR yesterday. Yippee

Jim
  • jimmoffatt wrote:
    David

Where is your race on Sunday? Is it Whitwell?

I won a Vets RR yesterday. Yippee

Jim
    Well done :-)
    One of the guys from our sat run started back racing and won his first four races and is noow second cat and on way to first!!!
    He is so strong sprinting he wins them all. Last week he won 2 primes and race this week he won the only prime plus the race.
    I am trying to get him to train with me for sprints for next year :-)
    What you doing team wise next year?
    We are looking for sponsorship or a team :D
  • Oh ans yes the race is Whitewell but Nick can't ride it so some one else might get a chance to win :D