Considering changing to a road bike from hybrid?

Tallyarver
Tallyarver Posts: 11
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone. Just discovered trhis site- really found it interesting.

I got back into cycling 2 and a half years ago. I didnt know how it was going to go- road or off road- so I bought a Dawes 301 hybrid. I have a set 7 and 10 mile course that I do at weekends- I concentrate on reducing my times but I cannot get my average speeds above 15mph on either course (curently 14.93!!) This may have everything to do with age (48) and weight( not telling you!). My friend says its time to part with the hybrid and buy a road bike. Will it make the difference Im looking for?.I dont have a fortune to spend- can I get anything half decent for £400?

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Is there any particular reason you need to go faster? If you just want to raise your average speed for the sake of raising your average speed, a road bike will probably do that for you but I'd question whether it's worth spending the money on. Obviously, if you're trying to bring commute times down or make longer distances possible it's a different matter. There's a few bikes to choose from around the £400 mark - I like the LeMond Etape but no doubt others will have a different view.

If you're riding for fitness and weight loss, you'll probably get more benefit from sticking with the hybrid and living with the relatively slow speeds - the object of the exercise (pun intended) isn't to make it as easy as possible!

(Full disclosure: I ride a hybrid but am planning to get my hands on a road bike to do the Manchester 100 next year.)
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    My ride from Leominster to Weobley takes 30 minutes on my Dawes Kalahari. I can't wait to see what it's like on my road bike. The road bike is noticeably faster feeling, but my rides (if I am just cruising) are often at about the same pace.

If you decide to get a road bike (they are great), try to make sure that they do not cut the fork low. Start off with the front end (bars etc) fairly high up. You can always lower them. You might like to try a Giant SCR.
  • Stick with the hybrid, if you really can't afford a second bike.

If you're getting more devoted to riding, you'll want a second bike though, unless it puts you in the poverty line.

Nothing worse than looking forward to a run on the weekend and breaking some spokes or something the day before.
  • dudi
    dudi Posts: 36
    I made the move from hybrid to road bike recently and it did make the world of difference to speeds. but it also made the world of difference to comfort... the hybrid was much more comfortable... but not as fun.

Also, if you buy a road bike, you'll probably want some more kit to go with it.. pedals, shoes etc.

My immediate increase in speed was about 3mph average over a 10 mile stretch. and it has gone up since...

Andrew
  • You should be able to get a Giant SCR 3.0 for £400, and you might find one of last year's SCR 2.0's (which I've got, and love) for not much more than £400.

But, bearing in mind the summer, for what it was, is just about over, you won't get the best use out of a road bike till next spring, so you might be better to stick with the Dawes and save up a few more pounds over the winter.
  • weird! I have a hybrid for hacking back and forth to work, and also have a road bike. Find the road bike far more comfortable than the hybrid. I did get measred for the road bike, but only the £35 bikefit thing.

If you're doing the bike rides as leisure, rather than a commute and are enjoying them, i'd say def get the road bike, as mentioned above the Giant SCR's are a good range if they suit you, with relaxed geometry and good discounts around on last years stock at the minute. With a well set up road bike you'll prob enjoy the ride more and want to go further than you are doing now, and you will be going faster too
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I moved from a dawes 201 hybrid to a Giant SCR 1.

Far faster bike, far easier to climb hills, and I find it more comfortable for my commute than the old dawes.

No doubts a good road bike will see you far faster than the hybrid, and make the journey more fun.

I now do a 6.50 each way commute (changed route recently to do less hill avoiding) in 25 minutes from chair to chair. Thats just over your 15mph goal, but does include getting the bike out of the house and into the office, rushhour traffic, traffic lights etc etc
  • Thanks very much ome and all for taking the time to help me. Just out of interest, I live near Birmingham and we have a brand new Specialized shop opened ( At Fort Dunlop if anyone knows the area) Guy in there was very helpful ( the shop is VERY smart) and let me trial the Allez discounted to £399. Seemed great- although cant say I have got a lot of experience yet! Still it seemed the right sort of entry level road bike for someone like me.

Again, any thoughts on that bike welcome.

Once again, many thanks for the benefit of your experiences.
  • You won't go far wrong with an Allez - they always seem to get good reviews (have'nt got one myself - no bias). You will be amazed at the difference - go for it. But beware - next spring you will be looking at the S-Works Tarmac, thinking should I or shouldn't I??? :shock: :shock:
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I think the most common entry level road bikes are the specialized allez, the trek 1000, and the Giant SCR.

The price seems good so really you need to ask if you can test ride the bike at all. You really need to try out a bike to know if its good for you. First time I rode a Giant SCR I absolutely knew it fitted like a glove absolutely spot on for me, Ive heard other people who dont get along with them.
  • Shadowduck wrote:
    If you're riding for fitness and weight loss, you'll probably get more benefit from sticking with the hybrid and living with the relatively slow speeds - the object of the exercise (pun intended) isn't to make it as easy as possible!
    I'm sorry but I don't buy this "if it's slower or heavier you have to pedal harder which makes you fitter" argument. You'll use the same energy whether that makes you go fast or slow - it's just that if it's fast it's more likely to be fun and you're thus more likely to do it more.
    That's not to say the OP should definitely get a road bike, but he shouldn't stick with a hybrid 'because he'll have to pedal that much harder to go the same speed' because that's just not true - he won't.
  • That's not to say the OP should definitely get a road bike, but he shouldn't stick with a hybrid 'because he'll have to pedal that much harder to go the same speed' because that's just not true - he won't.

I think it is. An increased rolling resistance and increased wind resistance due to a more upright position and the extra weight will result in increase in energy expenditure.

Why else would people design cars, bike positions etc, with better aerodynamics and to be lighter??
  • mea00csf wrote:
    That's not to say the OP should definitely get a road bike, but he shouldn't stick with a hybrid 'because he'll have to pedal that much harder to go the same speed' because that's just not true - he won't.

I think it is. An increased rolling resistance and increased wind resistance due to a more upright position and the extra weight will result in increase in energy expenditure.
    With cycling , people tend to have a maximum and optimum power output that is constant, rather than a target speed that is constant. You don't set off and go at 17mph or whatever no matter how much or how little effort that takes, you set off and ride at a comfortable/strenuous power output and see how fast that takes you.
    If that theory was true, people would deliberately induce friction/weight in order to get fitter. The reason they don't is that it's more fun to just go faster...
  • mea00csf wrote:
    Why else would people design cars, bike positions etc, with better aerodynamics and to be lighter??
    to go faster.
  • *snip* ... he shouldn't stick with a hybrid 'because he'll have to pedal that much harder to go the same speed' because that's just not true - he won't.
    You're talking about a constant speed, I was talking about a constant distance. The OP says that he does fixed 7 or 10 mile loops - to get round a given fixed loop on a hybrid will take more time and / or effort than on a road bike, hence greater fitness benefits. I also said that if he was "trying to bring commute times down or make longer distances possible it's a different matter."
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Before going to the expense of a new bike, check out your gearing and tyres. I upgraded my rear end with a different Shimano screw-on and thinner road tyres for under £50 and gained a few extra mph top speed very quickly. I am finding it hard to justify spending a load more on a good road bike for now, but I know I will eventually
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    mea00csf wrote:

With cycling , people tend to have a maximum and optimum power output that is constant, rather than a target speed that is constant. You don't set off and go at 17mph or whatever no matter how much or how little effort that takes, you set off and ride at a comfortable/strenuous power output and see how fast that takes you.
    If that theory was true, people would deliberately induce friction/weight in order to get fitter. The reason they don't is that it's more fun to just go faster...

More informed & erudite posting :wink:
    A set distance will take the same amount of energy, regardless of bike?
    Try this:
    http://www.mayq.com/Best_european_trips ... d_math.htm
    My best geared bike is seriously faster than my other uprights, or, put simply, the same distance takes less energy to complete at the same speed, so I have energy left to go faster with. M5's website can also provide some useful info here:
    http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/Mod ... Low_Racer/
    (see the chart at the bottom of the page)

WRT the OP: go try some different bike types & see what works for you. All bikes involve compromise, so find out how much fun you can have for your money! However, waiting 'til April when they'll be some serious discounts on last year's models & you can get a decent run out on a road bike for a few months might be wise.....