Got some Money To Spend, Advice needed

Greg759
Greg759 Posts: 17
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hello, I am new to this site and hope you people can help me out here.

I am looking at kitting my daugter, wife and I out with some bikes. I have decided on the Trek MT 220 for my daughter but cannot decide for the wife and I.

We are after front suspension good all round bikes.

The budgets are, for the Wife £250 to a max of £450, she doesnt like the girly type bikes, like more mens style and

for myself the budget is £500 to Max £700(ish). I have looked and like the Specialized rockhopper, Trek 6 series and also a few Konas. Please could you advise and let me know of some Good sites/shops.

I live in Ipswich so any good dealers nearby,

Thanks,
Greg :D

Comments

• The frame sizes I believe we require are, Daughter: 14" wit 24" wheel, shes an average 8 year old

Wife, 17", She is 5'6"

Me, 17", I am 5'8"

I prefer a raised saddle for riding position, Does these sizes seem about right?

Thanks again,
    Greg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The frame size will be dependant on the make and model of bike, so much variation even for stated numbes. It is essential you try them out. Have a look at the What Bike thread in the general section. Local shops are the way to go for a better service.
  • I had a look at both the trek range and rockhopper in my LBS, Both feel a good fit in the 17" frame I was just wondering what you guys think are the better spec version for the money or if there was another brand worth considering.

Can you put a link to thread, I cant seem to find it :oops:
  • supersonic
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12540401

Trek and Specialized are very good above 500 quid: below 500 the specialized are rather poor. I'd certainly look at the Trek 4500 in the budget sector for your wife.
  • Is there any real difference between the 2006/2007/2008 models and should I expect to be able to get a discount on 2007 models as in my LBS he had a couple bikes in there that was the last ones so he said but he was offering no real discount. One was a specialized myca :?: I think, for the wife but was slightly out of her budget.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • supersonic
    Myka is a new womens specific bike. Specialized are well sought after, discounts are hard to get - and the 07 rockhoppers have a better frame than the 06s.
  • Thanks, I will have to go back in and have a good look and take some for a ride to find what suits me I think. By the look of things a rockhopper sounds a fairly good buy, now its looks like just a case of deciding what spec to go for :?: :?: :?:

So many Choices :? :?
  • supersonic
    As long as the fork is damped and adjustable - and the bike fits you cant go too far wrong!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd buy a copy of this month's WMB to and check out the bikes of the year in the budget-mid range sections. Halfords stuff comes out suprisingly well but lots of other options if you want to avoid that route.