tour of Britan (pis* up in a brewry)

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited September 2007 in Campaign
Can anyone explain how the organizers can fail to shut down a road in yesterday's stage is our sport not in enough crisis without this nonsence?.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    easy!

the organisers have NO powers to shut any road
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    fair enough but surley it is there responsibility to liaise with the police to make sure the roads are shut and not left to chance
  • I cannot understand how the Tour of Britain is kept such low key when the Tour de France had all the pomp and publicity it had!

I thought the Brits hated the French.....! :wink:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It's a crap event. A five or six day stage race will never attract the big names to ride on partially closed roads and there isn't the room in the calender to fit anything longer into the season.

They should give up on it and concentrate on a one-day classic instead, place to place and keeping the same route every year so that it builds up a history and forms a relationship with the minimum number of authorities and police forces. Closed roads are a possibility for a one-day event in this country, no chance on a stage race.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    It's a crap event. A five or six day stage race will never attract the big names to ride on partially closed roads and there isn't the room in the calender to fit anything longer into the season.

They should give up on it and concentrate on a one-day classic instead, place to place and keeping the same route every year so that it builds up a history and forms a relationship with the minimum number of authorities and police forces. Closed roads are a possibility for a one-day event in this country, no chance on a stage race.

That Rutland race would be a good one. :)
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Smokin Joe wrote:

It was 7 days this year, and will be 8 next year.
    I attended the finish in Kendal yesterday, and the crowds were huge, and the atmosphere was electric.
    With British riders having a successful tour it can only help the event grow.
    The next aim must be to get some better television coverage
  • [quote="Nickwill"

.............The next aim must be to get some better television coverage[/quote]

Talking of which , I tuned in to Eurosport to watch the two hour TOB programme yesterday which they were unable to broadcast due to technical problems . Grrrrr.

Typical Eurosport .
    Luke
  • Did anyone volunteer to marshall? I did but never heard a thing!!!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Closed roads are a possibility for a one-day event in this country, no chance on a stage race.

Surely a stage race is a series of one day races? :o
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Closed roads are a possibility for a one-day event in this country, no chance on a stage race.

Surely a stage race is a series of one day races? :o

Not exactly. A one day event in the UK is normally run over numerous laps of the same circuit and consequently road closures don't present the same problem as a stage race.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    James Daley is a tosser.
  • I reckon the big ACPO vehicle at the front would have had authority to close roads Spenn.