Buying speed

slojo
slojo Posts: 56
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
It is just over a year since I started cycling again. Here’s a record of how my time has progressed over a hilly 20-mile circuit and how the various bits of kit bought during the year have affected my speed.

1st ride on a 20-year-old Marin hybrid – around 2 hours
Bike serviced, new cassette, chain & cables – 25 minutes faster
New skinny road tyres – 3 minutes faster
SPD pedals & MTB shoes – 4 minutes faster
New bike (Ribble SC61) – 5 mins faster
SPD-SL pedals & proper road shoes – 1 min faster
Snazzy carbon aerodynamic seat post – no effect

I now do the circuit in just under 1:10. So that’s 50 minutes quicker, 38 of which are down to new kit. The remaining 12, I presume, are due to me getting fitter.
So, what should I buy next?

Comments

• That doesn't sount too scientific. Surely it's more likely to be the other way around if anything?
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    slojo wrote:

http://www.mastercoach.co.uk/
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    The title of this thread made me click on it! :shock:

Sounds like the answer to your question might actually be what you asked. :wink:
  • Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    slojo wrote:

If you spend enough you should be able to get back before you set off! :wink:

Seriously though, unless the Marin was in such a bad state that the wheels wouldn't even go round, I'd have said that all but around 10-15 mins is down to your increased fitness.
    Dave
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    i'd just keep getting it serviced, new chains and cassette and cables, they seemed to give you the biggest improvement.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    new wheels :lol::lol:
    Rich
  • abi26
    abi26 Posts: 18
    a Boast bar and caidence meter because then you can concentrate on a heightened level of fitness. once your flying. in which time you can save up for a bike you'll really love.....
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Most will be down to improved fitness - no question about it. Even if you have the best upgrades possible, if you don't have the base strength and stamina, it won't help
  • slojo wrote:
    It is just over a year since I started cycling again. Here’s a record of how my time has progressed over a hilly 20-mile circuit and how the various bits of kit bought during the year have affected my speed.

1st ride on a 20-year-old Marin hybrid – around 2 hours
    Bike serviced, new cassette, chain & cables – 25 minutes faster
    New skinny road tyres – 3 minutes faster
    SPD pedals & MTB shoes – 4 minutes faster
    New bike (Ribble SC61) – 5 mins faster
    SPD-SL pedals & proper road shoes – 1 min faster
    Snazzy carbon aerodynamic seat post – no effect

I now do the circuit in just under 1:10. So that’s 50 minutes quicker, 38 of which are down to new kit. The remaining 12, I presume, are due to me getting fitter.

Unless you made all of the changes on the same day and in a controlled way how on earth can you claim pedals saved you a minute for example???