Finding a courier job - Guildford area

Sharief
Sharief Posts: 3
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm trying to find a job as a bike courier but I'm finding it really difficult. I live near Guildford so somewhere around there might be good.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've never seen any bike couriers in the Guildford area - you could be the first? Or you're probably going to have to go towards west London for that type of work
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    My guess that the only scope in Guildford for regular short distance deliveries would be delivering take-aways.

For messengering work you need to be somewhere where there is a lot of urgent business to business deliveries – so that means most likely central London. Anywhere in suburban areas is too vast to be do-able without a motorbike or van.
  • Most cycle couriers are in the very centre of London, I remember a courier complaining to me when I sent him from Poland street in Soho to Paddington, so even West London is probably not far enough in!!!
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    urgency of delivery is key to the success of bike courier businesses, hence why bikes are so good for it. they can cut through traffic and generally, albeit illegally, break highway code laws which vehicles with registration plates can't so easily get away with.

unfortunately for you guildford isn't really the business mecca of the UK and doesn't have the volume of traffic (all day) that would make a bike courrier business viable.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Most cycle couriers are in the very centre of London, I remember a courier complaining to me when I sent him from Poland street in Soho to Paddington, so even West London is probably not far enough in!!!

That's because, like feral cats, they have their own little patches of territory. Paddington was probably someone else's area, so he wouldn't be able to improvise several other pick-ups & drops on the way, making the time spent on that job worth less money.