I think i've messed up

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
:oops: Just bought a bike from Halfrauds..one of their Shockwave range...and reading on here i think i ve messed up :oops:
I take it this range of bike is pretty pants?..i think i'll just use it to build up my fitness then sell it on and get a more dedicated bike.
I want to trail ride really not compete or anything.
Sorry for wittering on..thanks Caroline x

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i think you have understood the situation. you could see about returning it for something more suitable. If you have only just got it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    So long as they didn't rip you off and you feel happy with the bike then it should do you fine.

Just make sure the tyres are pumped up and ask them to tighten up any suspension the bike may have. Also make sure the gears are shifting smoothly.
    This makes the travel in the suspension less and so when you pedal its a bit easier as you don't lose as much energy through the suspension.

Be warned though- cycling is highly addictive, in 6 months time you'll be asking about clip in pedals and "What bike should I buy for £600?!?" :):D
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Don't forget, most of the opinions expressed in here are from non-noobs :wink:
    My 1st mountain bike (ahem,12 years ago) was a £60 local-bikeshop job. No-name parts all round / rigid fork. I don't regret it one bit. Who cares if you fall off and scratch it (which you WILL :shock: ). Who cares if the sus saps some of your energy, you're technique will probably waste just as much at first. :roll:

But as was said ^^^^, you 100% WILL get addicted :twisted: and start looking at how you can finance that £600 - £2000 dream machine. Plus a rack/spds/camelbak/helmetcam/xtr, etc.... :roll:

All that matters is to get out there, enjoy your self and when you feel the bike is holding you back.... trade it in (if it's still alive :wink: ) and upgrade 8) :P
  • A lot of people will tell you that pretty much anything from Halfords is automatically a pile of junk - compared to the bikes some of these guys ride it probably is, but that doesn't mean it's unridable. My darling wifey rides an Apollo mountain bike (another Halfords own brand) and when they handed it over it wouldn't change gear, the brakes were cr@p, bits were loose and it was generally horrendous. Now it's set up right it's actually not that bad to ride.

If you'd asked before you bought it you'd probably have been advised to get something else, but now you've got it don't start hating it just 'cos others don't rate it. Make sure it's set up properly then go out and enjoy it - you've gone from nothing to a Shockwave and that's a huge step upwards in bike ownership! At least when you're ready to move on you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you're doing and what you want to get.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    The missus has a Shockwave and it's fine for what she does on it.
    If you're just starting out on a bike, i doubt you'll be trying to do any steep rocky descents or hucking the bike off the edge of massive drop offs, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

As said, make sure it's set up right and you'll be fine. Once it starts breaking and bits start falling off, trade it in for a better model!

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

PS, Make sure the seat is set to an appropriate height and i'm sure the bike will feel tons better! :wink:
    here's a straightforward guide to setting your saddle height.
    http://www.bicyclesource.com/bike/fitti ... ight.shtml

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • My last mtb was a built it yourself job made from a £15 frame off ebay and a load of 2nd hand parts. It got me fit and taught me what i wanted from a bike. Then i sold it and got my Trek.

The biggest complaint with halfords seems to be the - shall we say - questionable technical expertise of some of the staff (me being kind) rather than the bikes themselves. The range of spares is often pretty limited too. Bikes at this sort of price point are always a compromise.

Ride the sucker and enjoy.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • My bike i started mtbing for proper was a lanky Halfords GT
  • WOW..thanks for all the top replies!!!! wasn't expecting such a helpful bunch :D
    I will deffo be on the look out for another better bike in the near future as i can see i WILL be addicted to mountain biking :D .
    I'll just enjoy trying to bend the Shockwave through my inept riding (more used to riding the 1000cc engined type of bike lol)
    With regards to Halfrauds...the bike wasn't set up right in the slightest...me and the hubby had to take a spanner and screwdriver to the bike to get the gears to engage right...the front and rear mechs were right out of line :?
    Thanks again for the helpful replies..i am deffo inspired to carry on MTBing lol
    Caz xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my first bike was a halfords effort which to be fair, tried to kill me twice, i took it back and it got changed to a perfectly serviceable gt (stil proudly owned by a mate of mine) it is only my unstopable bike addiction which has been responsible for my never ending upgrading saga of the last 18 months.

as already said, if the bike is working out ok for you, then you've made a good purchase. as time goes by and when you finally give in to the compulsion to upgrade, find your way back here and there will be plenty of advice on how to spend your hard earned :D
  • Heh heh, I bought a naff Rayleigh rigid bike from Halford's years ago. The size they gave me was far too small (certainly smaller than the one I tried out, which was the size I thought I was getting). And I had to assemble it myself, because they said they had a waiting list and wouldn't be able to set it up for another three weeks. The muppet told me it was 'quite easy', and just to follow the instructions! :lol: So I didn't really get into biking at that time...so many years wasted! :(
  • garsr6
    garsr6 Posts: 135
    one things for sure.... if you run around on your shockwave for a couple of years you will be like a cat with a rocket up its backside if/ when you decide to upgrade to a better/lighter bike. :lol: main thing is to get out riding and enjoy yourself no matter what you ride. :wink:
  • How true.

:lol: Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.