Achilles

Saddleworth Reiver
Saddleworth Reiver Posts: 11
edited September 2007 in Health, fitness & training
Managed to rupture my achilles in a non mountain bike related incident . Had the operation to repair and currently 6 weeks into my 9 week plastcast coated world with long period of physio to then look forward to . Anybody else had same injury and carried on biking afterwards ?

Comments

• Sorry to hear of your injury. I did it 3.5 years ago playing football. Its a nightmare injury & as I'm self employed didn't want to go through that again. So I stopped all sports & got back into biking & took up golf! The calf muscle in the damaged leg will never recover to 100% so you will have one weaker leg.

It is absolutely fine now but I do feel it on a long tough ride. My mate who I ride with has also ruptured his achilles but he still runs, plays squash etc but I won't risk that.

The one consolation is the lovely nurses for hydrotheraphy & physio!
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • Cheers - had already given my squash raquets away as thought was bad idea given the twisting and turning . Already resigned to having one leg weaker than the other but was more worried about carrying on with mtb/endurance. Physion has recommended hydrothearapy to start off with?
  • You shouldn't have any problems riding afterwards. Take it easy & don't push yourself too hard. Its a long slog in physio but you have to be patient.

I think I had hydrotherapy for about 4 weeks. They get you to do lots of different exercises & it really helps. One of the things they get you to do is put flippers on & it is really difficult kicking with those things on. They also get you to run on your toes in the water which feels really strange to begin with.
  • thanks - v worried about l term prognosis but set myself goal of getting back on bike before easter weekend? How long were you guys out of action for?
  • Long term you will be fine but I think it was 22 weeks after the op before I was discharged from physio.

My mate didn't have the op - it was left to heal naturally but it snapped again whilst cycling during his recovery period. So he eventually had the op but it meant he was out of action for a long time.
  • Cheers - get plaster cast off tonight all being well so physio here we come !
  • You'll be in for a shock when you see the size of your calf muscl!
  • Yup - where has it gone ! was expecting wasteage but not that much ! enjoyed first bath in ten weeks although was a bit like sitting in a mixture of parmesan soup and skin stock once everything floated off !