Slanting Frames

John147
John147 Posts: 3
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi.

I'm looking to get back into riding after a while and I'd appreciate some advice.

I notice that most MTBs these days have a more unisex-style frame than I'm used to. The top tubes, instead of being horizontal, now seem to slant downwards with the seat post beginning at the lowest point. Am I right in thinking that this may cause a problem with saddle height? It seems like seat posts these days start barely an inch or two above the height of the wheels and the eventual height of the saddle won't be high enough.

I'm 5'10" with an inside leg measurement of about 33 inches, and when I used to ride I used to like to have the saddle as high as possible so I could stretch my legs and peddle more efficiently.

I bought a bike recently from Toys R Us and it had one of these slanting frames. I rode it for about 20 mins then took it back for a refund because the saddle, although raised up to its maximum limit, wasn't high enough for efficient peddling. This wasn't a kids bike, it was full size.

Can anyone offer any advice on this matter? I want to order a "Comfort Bike" online with nice high handlebars and an upright riding position, but am being put off because of this low-saddle situation.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Can anyone offer any advice on this matter?

yes go to a Bike shop not a toy shop if you want a bike.

re the top tube . some do some dont. it all depends on usage and size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, I agree, toys r us don't sell what you can call a proper bike - just a poor imitation: badly made, poorly put together, no back up (they have no mechanics on site) and hardly any spare parts.

Have a read of the threads in the beginners section and buying guide for advice on starter bikes.
  • fozzybear
    fozzybear Posts: 17,082
    these two guys have it bang to rights, some "misguided" info in your post, go to a decent Local Bike Shop where they will dedicate the time to unravelling your questions and clearing up a few misconceptions..
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    What they said ^^
  • Mountain bikes with sloping top tubes have long seat posts to compensate for their short seat tubes.

If the bike is correctly sized it will have a seat post long enough to get you to the position you want.

Toys R Us sold you a bike that's too small for you.

As everyone else has said, get into a proper bike shop and get some expert advice.
    John Stevenson
  • Thanks guys.

Yeah I learnt my lesson about buying cheap bikes from non-bike shops. I certainly wont be doing that again.

Good to know that saddle height isn't an issue because of the longer seat posts. Armed with that info and with the help of a proper, dedicated bike shop, I'll be cycling again in no time.

Thanks again.
  • Sloping top tube = more room for your nadgers !!!

Marv :lol:
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.