Noob saying hello!

shin0r
shin0r Posts: 555
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I've recently got into biking; what can I say, what a rewarding and exhilarating pastime! The feeling of elation after a good workout is fantastic, I should have done this years ago.

I bought a reasonably decent bike; an Orange evo 6 second hand with some half-decent kit; the difference in ride quality over my old £90 asda job is amazing.

I think I'll just hammer it until bits start to break and replace and upgrade as I go along. The frame seems decent enough (to me) - is this a sensible approach? Nothing has broken off it yet, although I suppose the sort of riding I'm doing is hardly extreme.

Mainly I've been riding the Cwmcarn trail to the top (after puking my lungs up a few times on the way up), hitting the top section (Freeride?) a few times then getting down again as fast as possible. Makes me feel a lot less guilty about pigging out on beer and pizza when I get home.

If any of you are regulars up at Cwmcarn I'd like to chew the fat and get some advice etc; If you see me in the car park (I'm usually in a filthy green bmw and bring my brown dog, Sophie) feel free to say hello!

cheers

Sam

Comments

• Hiya and welcome!

Seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Biking can get awfully expensive very quickly. Especially if trying to save a bit of weight or having to have the latest kit.

Have fun, enjoy, that's what it's all about!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • Welcome!

Yep, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is the sensible way to avoid getting into the upgrade fever that afflicts way too many of us.
    John Stevenson
  • Hi,

Good to hear you found our little sport, I just rediscovered it about 3 months ago after a 7 year break and can't believe I stopped in the first place.

As for upgrading the bike......you will, its only a matter of time before you 'must' change something, thats how it gets you see....you'll see a new stem thats lighter/stronger/anodized purple and realise that its the most important thing in the world and you must own it........once thats done you'll see a new .............ah, the joy :wink:
  • I used to spend a fortune on new bits for my computer. Now it's the bike. At least this is doing me some good !!

Next thing on my shopping list is a Maverick Speedball. (sigh)

Marv.
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Hi Sam like the posts above say, it's all about getting out and having fun and enjoying yourself, spend money on upgrading if and when you have it and when the bits wear out. In the mean time happy riding :lol: