Stupid things to do on a bike number 101.....

sbullett
sbullett Posts: 139
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
A warning for all you newbies, don't do what I did yesterday :cry:

Climbing a short but steep hill, I decided it would be easier to stand up on the pedals. About half-way up the hill I needed to turn left onto a side road. As I approach the side road I heard a car coming up behind me and without stopping to think about it, took my left hand off the handlebars and signalled left.......not a problem immediately as I was on the right-hand downstroke and all my weight was on my right hand, still attached to the handlebars......

Of course, when my left foot came down, and the bike promptly lurched dramatically to the left I had to slam my hand back on the bars and remove my feet from the clips PDQ. Managed to stay upright somehow but ended up in the middle of the road and looked a complete and utter knob :oops: Guy in the car behind had luckily given me plenty of room and asked if I was OK before driving off with a grin on his face.

Unfortunately I managed to wrench my left little finger quite badly and it's now swollen up and turned purple at the joint with my hand :(

Didn't stop me finishing the ride though, a splendid 9 mile climb up to Buckstone Moss above Hudersfield, I wasn't going to miss a day with no wind to do this exposed route....shame my hand hurt on every bump on the way back though.....

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    You gotta love those clipless pedals. Sometimes it is safer not to signal and just ensure that you keep control of the bike :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Oddly enough, I came to that same conclusion just as my left foot started to descend :wink:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    number 102
    swerved to miss the cat whilst on the rollers :oops:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    We've got a pedestrian cycle bridge here that has tarmac on one side and metal planks on the other. The tarmaced side is marked for bicycles but it's usually crammed with pedestrians while the metal side is suicide in the wet. Determined not to dismount I was skirting along the edge of the tarmaced side trying not to get too close to the pedestrians when my wheel got stuck in a gulley between the two surfaces. Bike was dancing all over the place and I nearly wiped out into a smartly dressed man but somehow, have no idea how as the bike felt like it was at a 45 degree sideways angle at the time, managed to recover control.

Kinda wish I had crashed into someone though. That'd learn 'em for walking on the bicycle side.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Waiting at lights with the right foot clipped in, left foot resting on the floor.

Moved my left foot a little too close to the bike and started to lean right a bit...

Tried to unclip my right foot, but couldn't.

Cue very slow fall onto the middle of the road just as the light turns green :oops:

Got a really nasty cut as well - by the time I got home my leg was properly soaked in blood and I had a lovely red sock :(
    I woiuld have rinsed it but didn't think SiS Go would have helped much :)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Number 103: Raised the saddle another 1/4" and found out at the first set of lights I couldn't reach the ground anymore! Didn't quite end up horizontal but it wasn't a graceful dismount...

It's a good anti-theft device, at least. Opportunist thieves under six feet tall need not apply. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Number 103.1
    clip the front of a car when going at least 35mph down hill... and well going air born isnt fun. (unique experience) my helmet actually did save my life. for some reason even though i didnt cut my face or anything like that, blood dripped from my nose, and out my mouth. but it literally was just that. and everything was all better within an hour, and the guys car i clipped only had a tiny lil dint in the front lower part of it. ''dont try this at home'' because u get a headache after. and the impact i felt on my helmet.... well... lets just say, if it was my head i'd be dead or somin along those lines.
  • Number 104.
    Do a track stand on a hill at red lights when chain about to break!! Especially in front of a butchers shop with lots of little old ladieslaughing at you on the floor :D
  • no 105.
    on going round a closed metal gate on the Taff trail. smacking your knee cap on the steel gatepost
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • no 106.

Saw a young lad on Monday, aged around 12/13 cycling along the pavement on a slight downhill slope. He was carrying a fishing rod, about 8ft long in his right hand, the rod was set up with line/float etc ready for him to take his maggots on a swimming lesson in the local river.

As he passed a tree the top of the rod/line got caught up and pulled his right arm backwards causing him to go to the right and into some guys driveway.... BANG went the fence separating the the two driveways as he tried to stop, half hanging off the back of the bike.....

After I stopped to see if was ok i rode off trying not to p my lycra shorts with laughing!!! :lol:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    no 107

Showing off that I can remove my top over my head whilst cycling , and forgetting to undo the zip first
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    sbullett wrote:
    Unfortunately I managed to wrench my left little finger quite badly and it's now swollen up and turned purple at the joint with my hand :(

Just think, if you were a professional footballer, you would be able to have the rest of the season off with that injury!

In Saudi, one of my favourite runs was to the hanging village at al Habla, getting there just after dawn; sitting in the edge of the escarpment and watching the hawks thermalling. Then it was off for breakfast at the restaurant, parked the bike, turned round and slipped - right through some plywood sheeting and fell 6 feet into an open sewer.
  • Drift into a curb at approximatly 20 mph infront of a bunch of fit girls and an ambulance at the otherside of the road.... lol.

no 109

Ride at night with no lights but your phone light.

Look behind you to check traffic

Look in front and notice you're about 2 FT from the back of a black parked car... Ouch.

109 happened first... I learnt my lesson, got a helmet and got lights.

108 was just stupid. lol Some nice grazes through
  • webbhost wrote:
    Drift into a curb at approximatly 20 mph infront of a bunch of fit girls and an ambulance at the otherside of the road.... lol.

well, at least there was an ambulance on hand :lol:
    Did you get marks out of ten? or a sympathy date?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • nolf wrote:
    Waiting at lights with the right foot clipped in, left foot resting on the floor.

Moved my left foot a little too close to the bike and started to lean right a bit...

Tried to unclip my right foot, but couldn't.

Cue very slow fall onto the middle of the road just as the light turns green :oops:

Got a really nasty cut as well - by the time I got home my leg was properly soaked in blood and I had a lovely red sock :(
    I woiuld have rinsed it but didn't think SiS Go would have helped much :)

had something similar happen while waiting behind a driving instructor's car
    however my fall was due to my leg cramping up
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday