Alpe d'huez

grape72
grape72 Posts: 30
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Just returned from a trip to the Alps, and made it up Alpe d'huez (twice) The rental shops in Bourg D'oisans were generally poor, with not a great range of sizes. I ended up with an aluminium bike fitted with a triple, but the shop didn't have any spd-sl pedals, so my cycling shoes remained unused, and i had to climb the alpe, in my retro adidas trainers! It was a tremendous experience and all of our gang managed it. You can't really appreciate the gradients from tv or photographs, the first 2 stretches are flipping long and flipping steep. if your a cycling fan I highly recommend a visit to Bourg D'oisans, cos you have several of the iconic climbs within reach, (Galibier, Landon, Croix de Fer) and grinding up Alpe D'Huez, reading the names on the road and counting down the switchbacks is absolutely ace. Watching Lance and Pantani accelarating up the slopes, after doing it yourself is a joy to behold, and makes you appreciate, the super humans these guys are (or were, in pantani's case)
"Clarity, just confuses me"

Comments

• I did it twice this summer twice. Dhuez is an awesome climb! Did you get any good photos. I'd like to try it in a group at some point in the future
  • My planned destination for spring 2009. Good job that I've got a splattering of 10-13% climbs in the area to practice on. Up and down and up and down and up and....you get the picture :wink:
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    My favourite place is the area around Ventoux. Lots of smaller roads so it's easy to put routes together and the riding is hilly but not madly steep. Ventoux itself is well worth doing and if you use the route the TDF normally uses, from Bedoin, is harder than the Alpe.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I have foolishly put myself forward for doing the Marmotte next July with some mates from our club - this will be my first trip to the area and I must admit to more than a little trepidation at the thought of knocking off 2 big cols prior to tackling the Alpe itself.

I must be mad!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're in the area, go and ride the Telegraphe and the Galibier - then the Alpe will be a mere pimple in comparison.Trying to encourage some friends to ride La Marmotte next year too - it's a few years since I've ridden in that area and would like to give it a go with a full winter of training behind me.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I'd also like to do La Marmotte next year after managing the Etape this July..

How do you enter? Is it as much of a hassle as the Etape?!
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Just back from doing Ventoux and Alp d'Huez. We did the Alpe as a weak option cos the guys I was with couldn't face the Galibier as I wouldn't let them do it without the Telegraphe ;-)

The descent of Ventoux was ace - like a racetrack, smooth tarmac and big sweeping banked corners - great fun! After that, Alp d'Huez was just a really nice climb. Not as hard as you might be lead to believe, but really enjoyable with great scenery. Debating whether to buy the pics from the photographer at turn 2.
  • The Alpe is a very well managed legend. With the exception of the first couple of ramps it's not a hard climb (in comparison to the nearby Galibier and Croix de Fer/Glandon). If a stage finished at the top of any of these other passes each time it visited, they'd be just as legendary.

It's a nice climb and a pleasant afternoon out but I was surprised at how many people stop in the village rather than continue on to the tdf finish line. We had the place to ourselves despite having been amongst several others on the hairpins.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    cabron wrote:
    I'd also like to do La Marmotte next year after managing the Etape this July..

How do you enter? Is it as much of a hassle as the Etape?!

Just about the hardest day you can do on a bike, but dead easy to enter compared to the Etape. Just go to the sportcommunication website. (not open yet for entries for next year, and the website is a bit flaky when it does open)

What is noticeable about the Marmotte is how seriously the Dutch and Belgians take it-coming in clubs, bringing their families, 100s of campervans at the bottom of the Telegraph and Valloire handing out musettes/fresh bottles to their riders

I've done 3 Etapes and one Marmotte-prefer the Marmotte and hope to do it again next year
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    when you do these rides where do you stay is accomadation a problem?
  • I did the Ventoux from Bedoin this year two days before I did the Dhuez, It is a toughy and the flies in the forest are so annoying. Its longer than dhuez so I would say its harder, not that much though. Great descent down to malauciene I clocked 49.3mph (so close to my first 50)

Also thinking of doing the Marmotte next year or Etape or both. I havent done anything like that before. British cyclo is the closest I have come. Ive ridden up most of the big Cols around the region but havent put in a 100 odd mile day there. 5000m climbing for the Maramotte is daunting.

Im put off the Etape by the fact that I have to book through and expensive tour company. It would be much cheaper to enter the race, book my own flights and then share a chalet or a hotel room for 2 or three nights.
  • Ken Night
    volvine wrote:
    when you do these rides where do you stay is accomadation a problem?

Alpe D'Huez is a skiing village and can accommodate 30,000. While much of it isn't open in summer, there are plenty of places to stay, and several which are bike specific. No need to go with a tour company if you want to arrange your own

IHowever, if you want support, I'm likely to arrange a Marmotte week of accommodation, supported rides and airport transfers, using a friend's place at the bottom of Le Croix de la Fer/Glandon, about 7m from Bourg D'Oisans

pm me if you're interested
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Ken Night
    This year it started with Le Vaujany sportif, on Sunday 1st, and ended with Le Grimpe Alpe, on Sunday 8th. The Prix de Grand Rousses was on Wednesday 4th and the Marmotte on 7th

Having been there the whole week, I can recommend it, though having done the first three sportifs, I didn't have the stomach for the time trial up AD on the second Sunday morning

I believe the Marmotte may be on 5th July this coming year-the website doesn't say yet-may only be announced after the release date of the Tour details
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It's worth getting down there early to do the Vaujany: A good route (figure-of-eight including the upper half of AdH) a smaller, more manageable field (600 riders instead of 6000) and a short course option (if you have a cycling partner who doesn't want to do the full distance).

Spend the days between Vaujany and Marmotte doing the touristy rides in the area, practising the Croix de Fer & Alpe d'Huez climbs, and enjoying the (hopefully) good mid-summer weather watching the daily TV broadcasts of Le Tour in some bar or cafe during the afternoons.
  • Ken Night
    ricadus wrote:
    It's worth getting down there early to do the Vaujany: A good route (figure-of-eight including the upper half of AdH) a smaller, more manageable field (600 riders instead of 6000) ...........

watching the daily TV broadcasts of Le Tour in some bar or cafe during the afternoons.

The Vaujany is good, going over the Alpe via Villard Reculas, and Col de Sarenne. It''s tough and the first 15 miles are FAST-less than 30 mins to Sechilienne

In Bourg that week, lean your bike against the cafe wall, come back 2 hrs later to find it three deep in Colnagos/Wiliers/S Works etc :)

It's a fabulous bike fest
  • Ken Night
    The Tourist office at Bourg confirm the Marmotte will be run on 5th July 2008
  • Your trip sounds amazing Ken. I'm not surprised you didn't fancy the dhuez time trail the day after the marmotte.
  • Ken Night
    RyanBrook wrote:
    Your trip sounds amazing Ken. I'm not surprised you didn't fancy the dhuez time trail the day after the marmotte.

No problems not getting up for it! I gave my all to get gold on the Marmotte

Regret it now though!

Next year, and half a stone lighter, I'll do all four!