Starting Touring - any advice

mr_chambo
mr_chambo Posts: 43
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I've just started cycling to keep fit and to do a few road trips. Does anyone have any advice on bikes that are a reasonable price? I've ridden a Dawes Galaxy from the late 90s and Super Galaxy from a bit earlier (not much difference really).

Is there anything about at the moment, either road or tour that have a similar sort of comfort that the 531st frame offers? Or would I be better off just looking for an old Dawes/Butler/Carlton 531 frame and re-building?

Comments

• It would be worth your while looking at what Spa Cycles and Thorn have to offer. Both have discounted touring bikes for sale.
  • Thanks for the advice, was looking at the Dawes Horizon as a starting level bike, the cheapest I saw was £299, but cant find it again. Suppose I could go for a second hand Galaxy or that
  • IMHO if you can source a decent second hand steel frame and add better components you’ll have a much better end product than a cheap factory made low end bike.
    My first road bike was based on a re-sprayed Carlton 531 frame which I got from a friend and was barely used because it was too big for him. I got my LBS to build it up with an Ultegra group and hand built DRC S Touring wheels plus mid range stem, seatpost, pedals, Rolls saddle etc. It came to about £650 all in which I thought was a decent deal. So ask around and see what's lurking around unused in garages and sheds.
  • Yer I've noticed that the Carlton corsair had a 531 frame and forks and I often see them go on eBay for under £100, but how do you deal with adjusting the frame to take and 8/9 speed cog if its only spaced for a 6 speed. Are there people about that can bend the frame - I live in Nottingham.
  • If the frame is 531 which the Carlton should be, then the chain stays can be cold set to the new width required. It's not too difficult but if you aren't experienced it may be best to leave it to the bike shop.