Targets for an Old Git

sejackans
sejackans Posts: 78
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Just started cycling at the age of 40, and i was just wondering what sort of targets i should be setting myself.

Being doing it about 3-4 weeks, and had a go at one of the routes from this site, it was only 12 miles around stratford on avon, plus the cycle to get there, so about 20 miles in all, which apart from (in my eyes) a steep hill i loved it and could have gone round again.

But should i be concentrating on smaller distances at greater speeds or vice versa

And in the upcoming months what targets should i be setting myself
oh just one more thing what is the most reliable machine to measure speed and distances(apart from a tape measure and clock)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, you can buy a bike computer from about £10-20 which will measure distance, speed and time. In terms of develping some goals, to really gain benefit from the exercise, you should try and increase your duration to 1-2 hours, and then start looking to increase your speed. Set yourself a distance target of say 25-30 miles and over a period of a couple of months, see how much quicker you get. When you get to the point of finding it quite straight-forward, then look to increase the distance to say 40 and then maybe 50 miles. Try to mix-up you rides too - try some shorter faster rides as well as some longer steady ones - try not to always ride at the same speed or always going flat-out. Vary the terrain too, perhaps adding some hills if possible. If you're based in Warwickshire, there's some nice climbs south of Stratford towards Chipping Camden and the Cotswolds. Most of all, enjoy your time on the bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    As a real newbie myself ( 3 months and 920 miles ), I have concentrated on building up ride distances from 10-ish miles ( which took an hour at first ) to regular 25 miles and occasional 40 - 50 miles. In the meantime, my weight has plummeted, my speed has improved and everything is tickety-boo.

There are lots of helpful tips on this forum - my main ones would be get yr bike set up and maintained properly in the first place, drink plenty of water, eat well, build up your basic riding time by a bit every week and log your time/distance - there is a great satisfaction when you hit a new total mileage, a new high average speed, etc
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    yeh agreewith all comments above.Getting a bike computer certainly gives added incentive when trying to add distance to your rides.agree with mixing routes,climbing, some hard roads and some flatter ones. Look on your local maps to see all the little B & C class roads that hardly any cars go on, enjoy the countryside, your ever improving fitness and health and see the big grin on your face when you do your first 50 mile ride!!! :lol: Welcome to the great world of cycling.
  • Hi there me too!! I've had a bit of time on my hands recently and have been out on medium distance rides. I have a question though. Is it ok to do 30+ miles over the course of a number of days? or is that too much? I fancy going out and doing 30 milers every day over the course of the next week or so. Shoud I alternate days? Appreciate an answer. :D
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Do distances you're comfortable with.

If three lots of ten or twelve moiles suits you per week, then there is nothing wrong with that. It's 30 miles more than most people do!

I do a circular route of ten miles, but often stretch it to 15 three times a week, if I can find the time

At weekends I'll do a 30 mile route.

I'm 42 and really only got in to cycling when I was 40, just bought a road bike after years of MTBing

Now the nights are drawing in (Wot no summmer!) I'll try and get out when I can and also use the MTB sometimes too.

That's enough to keep reasonablyu in shape, when combined with some swimming, until spring.

there's no rules, except enjoy it!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • sejackans
    sejackans Posts: 78
    edited September 2007
    [quote If you're based in Warwickshire, there's some nice climbs south of Stratford towards Chipping Camden and the Cotswolds. Most of all, enjoy your time on the bike.[/quote]
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    If you're based in Warwickshire, there's some nice climbs south of Stratford towards Chipping Camden and the Cotswolds. Most of all, enjoy your time on the bike.

One day i will take on Sun Rising Hill near Wroxton, but maybe not yet!

On saying that what is the best way to attack a fairly steep rising hill. I've tried two now and both times struggled to find the right gear losing my chain both times in a blind panic
  • Alot depends on the length of the climb. I've found that for short sharp hills standing-up and blasting works best, but for longer steadier climbs a nice low gear and spinning up works. How come your chain is coming off? I've always found changing gear mid-climb, however steep, is quite a smooth process.
    Still breathing.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sun Rising Hill and it's alter-ego, Edge Hill can be pretty daunting prospects for a beginner - they both start gradually and then steepen up. I used to race and ride up them regularly when I lived in the area - start at the bottom in a relatively easy gear and try and maintain your pedalling speed - cadence - if it gets too hard, change down a gear at a time. Don't wait until you are forcing every revolution and then try and force a gear change - you are more likely to unship your chain as you have found out. If you get to the point of running out of gears and the hill rising in front of you, start looking to get out the saddle to get more pressure on the pedals. Make a mental note of this point on the hill - over repeated rides, hopefully you'll see that you get further and faster up the hill. A nice route in that area is to go up Sun Rising, along and down Edge Hill, across the M40 to Fenny Compton, and up to Burton Dassett.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I was in a similar position to you at the end of last year, with a new bike, and thinking about targets this year. The first thing to say is to be realistic. I'm 53, so it takes longer to build up your fitness. The second thing is, don't too "realistic". Part of the joy is aiming for targets that you never thought that you could reach. Having said that, my core aim for this year has been to improve my fitness, progress to doing longer, hilly rides, and to do one sportive before the end of the year.

As some have said, get a bike computer, and keep a log of your rides. Then you have a measure of how you are progressing. Find a variety of rides, so that you don't get bored. Short and longer. Flat or hilly. Then progress slowly. I've been doing two or three rides a week almost all year. Starting with 10-20 miles in the week, and 30-40 at the weekend, now I'm up to 2 x 30-40 miles in the week, and 80-90 miles at the weekend. I've lost 6 kilos, changed body shape remarkably :shock: and last Sunday did the Trans Cambrian sportive, in a slow time, but almost exactly on my schedule.

Now I'm thinking about next year. I'm joining my local club, aiming to keep fitness over the winter to start from a better base next year, and aiming for 3 or 4 sportives next year :D
  • The targets you set should be ones that you can achieve and want to achieve. It's pointless setting targets of, say, 100 Miles plus over a weekend, if you have neither the time to work towards that target or to actually reach the target.

Sit down and have a think about how much time you have to put into your newly found interest. And think about what you would be happy with, then write it down, you've managed 20 miles in a few weeks and you should be really proud of that. :D
    I wouldn't worry about speed as you get fitter that will come. Also as you get fitter you will naturally be able to cover more distance and more importantly want to cover more distance.

If you decide to set a big goal, work towards it and set small achievable goals along the way. And give yourself credit, marking each goal, large or small makes the achievement of that goal something special and gives you the motivation to carry on to the next one.

Remember that over the winter it will be harder to get out and ride. Winter should also be a time of doing good base miles with a view to bigger distances when the weather improves and it's more enjoyable.
  • On saying that what is the best way to attack a fairly steep rising hill. I've tried two now and both times struggled to find the right gear losing my chain both times in a blind panic[/quote]

You should be able to change gear on a climb, but until you can do that, select a suitable gear befoe climbing, even if it feels a little too easy, it will get harder :D
    With your level of eperience I would suggest not going off too fast, start at a pace you can sustain and only go 90% max effort, then if there is a bend with another bit at the top, you have a bit in eserve :D

For changing gear on a climb, just as you feel the need to change, put a little more effort in, then ease off the force on the pedal and change down then, it will be easier as your not changing the gear under extreme pressure, this should work wheteher changing rear or front gear.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    sejackans wrote:
    Being doing it about 3-4 weeks, and had a go at one of the routes from this site, it was only 12 miles around stratford on avon, plus the cycle to get there, so about 20 miles in all, which apart from (in my eyes) a steep hill i loved it and could have gone round again.
    This is my regular training ground - if you want any ideas for nice routes around the Stratford area or cafes to ride out to, let me know.
    And in the upcoming months what targets should i be setting myself
    I find the best form of motivation is to set yourself a challenge at a fixed point in time which you can work towards. And here's an ideal challenge for you - a great day out on a bike: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html It has a reputation for being one of the best Audax events on the calendar. Great routes, good refreshment stops, a friendly atmosphere and tons of grub at the finish!

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth
    Oh, and ps............

YOU'RE NOT AN OLD GIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

People outside the cycling world never seem to realise that cycling is a life-long sport enjoyed by 70 and 80 year-olds as much as children, teenagers and folks in their 20's. I'm constantly mixing with cyclists in their 60's and 70's who are fit, lean, athletic and full of energy. I find it really really odd that anyone who is merely 40 should feel they're OLD!!!!!!!!! You could have at least 30 years of cycling ahead of you! :wink:

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Oh, and ps............

People outside the cycling world never seem to realise that cycling is a life-long sport enjoyed by 70 and 80 year-olds as much as children, teenagers and folks in their 20's. I'm constantly mixing with cyclists in their 60's and 70's who are fit, lean, athletic and full of energy. I find it really really odd that anyone who is merely 40 should feel they're OLD!!!!!!!!! You could have at least 30 years of cycling ahead of you! :wink:

Ruth

6 or 7 years ago i finally had to give up playing football (some say it should have happened earlier). Back problems and then sciatica had haunted me since i was 15. Knowing i need to get fit again i've taken to the bike and am amazed how good i feel and little i ache.

So maybe last month i was an old git, but cycling maybe the elixir of life
  • BeaconRuth
    sejackans wrote:
    So maybe last month i was an old git, but cycling maybe the elixir of life
    :D
  • : http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/cotswold/index.html

Ruth[/quote]

Oh and thanks i now have a target for next year
  • BeaconRuth
    Super! I think next year's event is planned for 15th June. Keep it free. :D

Ruth
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Oh, and ps............

Ruth

Yes I second Ruth's comments - and on the continent the number of fit 'wrinklies' is very much more apparent. My dad cycled (blinking fast!) until he was 80 and his knee began to trouble him. In his mid 70's he could easily keep up with me (that's not saying much mind) adn my much fitter husband!
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    One of the nice things about cycling is, the world's your oyster. As the folks above had said, there's a load of different targets you could set yourself depending on time, inclination and what you find the most fun.

I got back on a bike about 7 years ago at the age of 41and started off pootling about on a mountain bike. Then I did a few years of slow motion XC racing, then got a road bike and have done a few 100 mile sportives, ridden some of the climbs made famous by the Tour de France, had a go at time trialling and so on and so forth.

So see what takes your fancy and give it a go. Try a few short blasts, try a few longer rides out into the country if you can. At 40, you may have 30 years on the bike, so there's no rush to do anything really.
  • I started cycling a little at 48 years old when I felt really old , joined a club at 56 years when I felt about 48 and now at 60 I still feel about 48 and I regularly mix it with the youngsters

If fifteen of us go out its a real feelgood factor to be 6th up that hill ........or taking your turn at the front in a pace line on the run back home

We all have our levels in cycling but you can continue to improve even beyond 60 and if you do peak then good fun holding it there

The main thing is to enjoy and keep fit and strong as you do so , and remember you can eat really well and stay trim .What a bonus !

Only snag is it can get addictive , maybe wanting a new PB on a time trial , so might be in touch with Ruth soon ..........
    pedrootes
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    good on you, but as the last post says it's all relative. Your training plan is dependant on what your target is and that's up to you... ride a TT at 40kph, cycle 100 niles, do the etape, stay fit, lose weight, enter a road race, keep up with the club run.... it's a broad church... i'm 40+ now and chilling and doing what i want to do rather than getting too stressed... i just love riding my bike. If you are riding on your own then entering an Audax or Sportive is a good way to get motivated to be out on the bike...the prospect of riding 100 or 200km may be daunting enough to spur on your ridng...no way i would ride that far otherwise and it's a nice feeling when you finish (maye not for the last 30k's or so, but that's part of the fun as well ;-))
    Basics are consistency... try and ride regularly and slowly up the distance..but only if that's what you want to do.
  • I agree with ruth.
    have you also thought about joining a cycling club...over the winter when its cold and wet they could give you the motivation to get out and ride.
    I'm 55 and joined my local club at 54 yrs old. They have sunday rides and week day rides and give you variety , fun and most of all the chance to bowl along in the peleton a la tour de france....just 120 miles shorter, 20 mph slower and a cup of tea half way round..but heck you can live the dream...lol.
  • here's another agree with Ruth - 40 is young for a hugely popular arm of serious bike racing: time trialling. Approx 2/3 of most events are made up of "vets" of over 40's. A lot are fast as hell, faster than most of the youngsters, especially over longer distances.

As regards to what to do, decide what you want to from cycling: ride for fun (touring, holidays etc,), racing (TT's or road), weight loss, or just simply pottering about. When you know what you want to do, then you can think about setting some specific targets. Relax dude, you've got your best years ahead of you... :D
  • Old Git here!

Just did the same route as last week, where i struggled up two hills.

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... w-and-back

This week i was looking for the place i had to stop at last week when i realised i had long since past it and had reached the top of the climb. Because of this when i reached the more daunting (for me that is) climb i approached it with relish rather than fear, and it felt good. The little computer i bought comes in real handy as it acts as further motivation trying to keep up a certain pace or maybe it was my new snug fitting bib shorts
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    targets for old gits.

Chavs :lol:

wives and daughters who take the **** out of us for wearing lycra :oops:

And on a serious note I didn't start cycling until I was 40 and I just keep on setting personal bests. I don't race but my mileage for a days cycling keeps improving year by year and the use of low gears on hills gets less and less. But I did spin on hills, right down to 26 front 32 rear and it taught me not to be scared of them, as time went by I used the low gears less and less but I knew I had them which gave me the confidence I needed. I still have the same gears on the bike I ride for hilly 100 milers, if I'm going to have a bail out gear I want a low one.
    Enjoy hitting your new targets, keep them attainable, enjoy cycling.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • BeaconRuth
    sejackans wrote:
    Old Git here!

Just did the same route as last week, where i struggled up two hills.

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... w-and-back
    Hey OG, you're on some of my favourite training roads! When you're feeling ready for a slightly further ride, try turning left into Aston Cantlow, go out along Bearley Rd and then right at the T-junction. Along White House Hill, Salter's Lane and Langley Rd. Up a hill then right at T-junction, through Wolverton, Snitterfield and back along Gospel Oak Lane and Featherbed Lane to Wilmcote. All wonderfully quiet, well-surfaced lanes. That'd make a smashing ride! :D

Ruth
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... w-and-back
    [/quote]
    Hey OG, you're on some of my favourite training roads! When you're feeling ready for a slightly further ride, try turning left into Aston Cantlow, go out along Bearley Rd and then right at the T-junction. Along White House Hill, Salter's Lane and Langley Rd. Up a hill then right at T-junction, through Wolverton, Snitterfield and back along Gospel Oak Lane and Featherbed Lane to Wilmcote. All wonderfully quiet, well-surfaced lanes. That'd make a smashing ride! :D

Ruth[/quote]

This looks a great addition to the route but the name "White House Hill" fills me with entredipation

Still i love a challenge. Cheers
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... w-and-back
    [/quote]

Ruth[/quote]

Just returned after completing this suggested route and thoughly enjoyed it even the hill bit, took me two days mind you!

Whilst not brilliant at the climbs i am feeling stronger and averaged just over 16mph over 32 miles, which was an improvement from last week over only 20 odd miles. Trying to keep at around 18/19mph on the flat a good 3 mph improvement in two weeks.
    And the good thing was I only stopped because i had to get home.
  • BeaconRuth
    OG, super! Well done. You're making great progress! Don't get too hung about your speed - that'll come naturally as you build up your fitness. Keep extending the duration whenever you feel ready - but just do whatever you enjoy really. You could carry on from Langley to Norton Lindsay, which is a pretty little village before turning back for Snitterfield.

Is that the best side of Stratford for you? Other places worth riding to are Welford, Dorsington, Long Marston to the SW, or Loxley, Charlecote, Hampton Lucy to the east.

Ruth