Help me recover!!!

RoseZella
RoseZella Posts: 18
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I am trying to improve my fitness by riding my road bike to work which is approximately 75km or 47 miles round trip.

I try to do this 3 times per week; Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and have been for about 3 weeks. My fitness is currently ok, nothing great, did a lot of mountain biking last year...

The main reason I don't go Tuesdays and Thursdays is becuase I am so sore, especially in my legs...

My question to you experts out there is: Should I be doing a recovery session at the end of my rides in order to be able to ride the next day? Or is it as I'm only a 'beginner' that my legs just cant hack the pace, and with time I will be able to ride to work 5 days a week.

Also should I incorporate certain foods into my diet to aid recovery at all?

Currently I try to ease into my ride by not going to hard from the word go, and the same thing when I'm coming to the end of my ride. If it is practical I try to do a bit of light streching at either end of my ride. I also always make sure that I'm well fuelled for my ride.

Really appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Thanks, James.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    carbs and protein!

protein helps the muscles rebuild whilst carbs is what your muscles require to work and keep working
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Hi,

I commute almost exactly the same distance, but can only make it a couple of times a week due to work commitments. I think you answered yourself and with time the aching will go. Unless I'm on for a good time, I take the last couple of miles a lot easier which helps with the immediate recovery.

You may want to check your saddle is in the right position, both height and position on seat post. Also if you use clipless peddles the cleats may not be in the best position. If either of these are incorrectly set up it can make your legs work inefficiently, which over 75 km is going to lead to some aching. Normally it is the knees that go with incorrect saddle position, but may get the rest of your legs as well.

There are plenty of websites that can help you to check your saddle position much better than I could explain.

Good luck.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Also do you do any stretching?

Towards the end of your ride- last 3 or 4 miles cycle slowly and spin at about 90rpm to get the alctic acid out of your legs. Then spend 5/10 minutes stretching your legs as soon as you get in.

This will help for the ride back and should stop the leaden feeling you get the next day- if that's the feeling you get! :)

Eat a bit more protein as well- especially with winter coming up- will help you avoid illness.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson