Advice Needed Please. Rockhopper Pro Disc. Good Or Bad?

Grandpa Munster
Grandpa Munster Posts: 25
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
I looking to buy a Mountain Bike a.s.a.p.

After reading about the exploits of davepiggott13 in his thread, I have decided to take the plunge and buy an 07 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc.

If I'm quick, I might be able to get the bike for £750, saving £200 on m.r.s.p.

As I am of similar stature to Mr. Piggott will this bike be good enough to cope?

What other bikes should I be looking at?

Is there a better deal, what should I push for?

The bike is only going to be used on road, if I can gain some fitness back and lose some weight, then it is money well spent.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Why are you are you buying a MTB if its only going to be used on the road?
  • Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why are you are you buying a MTB if its only going to be used on the road?

Initially I just want road work.

I thought it best to buy a bike which is an allrounder, and something that was sturdy.

I'm new to this, so if there are other alternatives, bearing in mind I am very heavy, then please advise me.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Grandpa M.

TBH what bike you buy is not going to matter that much. What will matter is preperation of the bike.

If you have found a bike and a shop that you are happy with go for it. The shop should be aware that you will be putting a slightly greater force on it and should really do a proper job of setting it up.

make sure the size is corrct and the saddle is at the correct height and off you go.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have just been to try on a few bikes for size.

I think I have narrowed my choice down to 2 bikes, the Rockhopper Pro Disc and a Trek 6700.

The bikes are 08 models and are £899 and £849 respectively. Included in this price are some accessories, bike computer, larger saddle, pump, water bottle, road tyres, under seat storage bag, plus a few other bits and pieces.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the above?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both well speced. It will come down to what feels best on a test.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Can't say I have first-hand experience of either bike but they're both respected makes and those models are well into the range of proper MTBs that can take serious off-road abuse so will handle anything your road commuting can throw at them (well apart from cars...). So as the others have said, test them and see if one feels more comfy, if you're not convinced either way after a short ride see if you can borrow one over a weekend. I'm sure someone here can tell you but I'd double check the forks on each can be locked out as bouncy forks are usually more of a hinderance than a help on roads.

Ofc though if you're unfit/overweight/not used to cycling then both bikes might not feel very comfy (certainly don't expect the saddle to be comfy, it takes a fair few rides to get used to being on a saddle again and a well made 'normal' saddle often ends up being more comfy than a giant gel-filled, sprung armchair lookalike saddle).

I hope a helmet and lights (assuming you work normal hours) are on your accessories list to ;)
  • If the bike is only going to be used on road,

Why not look at some of the hybrids?

Thinner tyres, road biased gearing, slightly easier on the back riding position.....may serve you much better?

All of the major manufacturers make hybrids, some with front sus, most rigid.

All a lot lighter and better suited to road work than an MTB.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • I had a Rockhopper - 06 model - before my current bike - another Spesh. I'm 6'5 and about 18 stone and I had no problems. The 07 bike had a much better frame, as will I guess the 08. So you can't go wrong. Unless you are Rik Waller.

Hybrids - one of the guys I used to ride with has a Scott Speedster hybrid with a Suntour 50mm suspension fork on the front. He's cycled it all over Shropshire and swears by it. Looks a nice bike but I don't think it'd go off road. Perhaps just put some road tyres on your MTB. The hybrids don't seem much lighter than an MTB so not the same advantage as a proper road bike.

I would say that I got a good saddle and this made a lot of difference to comfort - remember that just because it's padded doesn't mean it's going to be comfy. Get one that's the right width for your rear end.
    2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - 2006 Phantom 1203 "Miss Leadin"
  • Looks like I will go back to the shop and thrash out a deal on the Spesh or the Trek.

I like the bike(s), I like the accessories, I don't like the price.

How much should I try to get knocked off the price?
  • They make a big mark up. You should get a minimum of £50, realistically more.
  • Just spoke to the shop, they will not budge on the price of the bike, so £949 for the Pro.

My concession comes by way of the free accessories, which will be about £100ish.

The guy at the shop knows I want that bike, and there are none left, he also knows I need some extras to get me on the road.

It grieves me that I have not knocked the price down any.

What to do??? lol
  • Well if you look at it realistically,

You just got a 10% discount.

I'd hazard a guess and say you won't get anymore than that no matter where you go.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • £100 worth of accessories is a result really. I would get it and you'll be out on it this weekend.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many LBS survive by the skin of the skin of thier teeth, with big overheads and less margins than stores that have big buying power. Sure, ask for a discount, but dont complain if they dont!