new to forum

simon8298
simon8298 Posts: 17
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
I am new to this forum so thought i had better come and say hello :D

i have not been cycling for years and i thought i would buy a bike... so after much looking i found this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ribble-Road-Bike- ... otohosting

what you guys recon to the spec of this....??
I was of the opinion it is a nice bike with a very good components, but then i don't know bugger all :(
so please lemmie here what you have to say
cheers
simon

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    It is the old style crank, so out of fashion, but well sorted, the frame set is fairly cheap. The wheels on the cheaper side but solid and reliable. it went for 400 pounds which sounds about right. It's a nice looking bike, not a bargain but the buyer hasn't been robbed. His 900 pounds new sounds a bit on the high side.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    8) Yeah! Looks OK for the price. Don't spend too much on your first bike as you may decide it's not for you anymore.
    If you really get back into it simon8298 you can go for something carbon in 18months time for about £1,000-£1,500 and have a really nice machine.
    WELCOME BACK! Your fellow bikies need you. Good wishes and the best of luck! 8) 8)
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    simon, don't go for carbon, it'll only fracture or get scratched and then be rendered useless! Get yourself some lovely metal (Titanium or Reynolds 953) and then you'll have a bike for life :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    Lovely looking bike, Yellow bikes unite!
    Good price as well, and not dissimilar in spec to my own ebay steed.

http://i4.pinkbike.com/photo/1481/pbpic1481517.jpg

Just out of interest, what does it mean when you (John C) say it has an 'old style crank'??

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    it's a triple...
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    Oh I see, I thought you meant something about the design of the crank.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    Daniel B wrote:
    Oh I see, I thought you meant something about the design of the crank.

Dan

actually that's not what i meant. i was being mean and elitist towards triples... :wink: i think he simply meant it's an older crank model as opposed to being one of the later, more recent ones.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    It's yellow and it's a triple, that sounds good to me.

And yes did mean it was an older crank rather than being il el eel better. (my daughter is helping me with my english, )
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Looks a very good bike for getting started (again) on,& at a very fair price.
    If you did decide,in time,to upgrade,don't do what I did & buy yourself a good value Titanium frameset..........You'll never be able to justify changing it for the latest fad later on,as they never age! (I ended up having a paint job on mine,mind you it is one of those Raleigh Timet titanium job lot they were selling off when they opted out of manufacturing,with the mankey dull grey finish!)
    Anyway,enjoy your bike :D
    so many cols,so little time!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    simon, don't go for carbon, it'll only fracture or get scratched and then be rendered useless! Get yourself some lovely metal (Titanium or Reynolds 953) and then you'll have a bike for life :wink:

Quick! Call the misinformation police...again!! :D

You have to give a proper whack to damage it - ever notice how the carbon chain stays remain perfectly serviceable despite the usual whacking it gets over rough roads?
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Looks a very smart bike. Main thing is your happy with it, its the right size for you, go out and get some miles in and enjoy the nice weather while it lasts. :lol::lol: