The real cost of the Olympics

ricadus
ricadus Posts: 2,379
edited October 2007 in Campaign
Dispatches on Channel 4, 8 p.m. tonight:

The Olympics Cash Machine
Undertaking a forensic examination of who the real Olympics winners and losers are likely to be as a result of hosting the Games, reporter Antony Barnett reveals that for a lucky few, the personal and financial benefits could be huge, revealing, for the first time, the explosive facts about the Olympics the Government never wanted Parliament or the public to know.

Perhaps Channel 4 should have scheduled a screening of Polanski's Chinatown* afterwards.

(*Amongst other things, cunning entrepreneur tricks Los Angeles into building a huge reservoir project for the purpose of future personal enrichment).

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Campaign for Real Olympics!

The Olympics as a whole is a corrupt bloated and festering parody of everythingthe "Olympic Ethos" stands for.

What we need is to go back to competition on a basis where a small third world country can actually host the event without the need for the freeloading and corruption.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cunobelin wrote:
    Campaign for Real Olympics!

The Olympics as a whole is a corrupt bloated and festering parody of everythingthe "Olympic Ethos" stands for.

What we need is to go back to competition on a basis where a small third world country can actually host the event without the need for the freeloading and corruption.

Quite right.
    Whoever heard of freeloading and corruption in a smalll third world country?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    OK.........

I meant within the Olympics!

I read somehere thatthere are now only about ten countries inthe world that can actually "afford" to hold the Olympics, and that this leaves large geographical areas where the chance s of holding an Olympic is nil.

We don't "need" the multi milion pound industry that inflates and feeds the corruption within the Olympics.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I thought that the programme was a load of s**t!!!! Bleating on about Lord Coe making money out of the Olympics by using his Olympic connections/credentials. I found it a bit hypocritical as wasn't the very reason he was given the job his name and his sporting prowess. If he had been awarding himself building contracts, I'd have seen the point, but the programme seamed to be reporting a businessman doing business, shocking!!!
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    As long as the Olympics don't ever go back to Atlanta I'll be happy.

I'll be happier still if they go back to Barcelona, Sydney or Athens. All of which were brilliant Olympics and great destinations. Seems a shame not to recycle Olympic venues.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan