Was it the wheels?

limitandbeyond
limitandbeyond Posts: 11
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Hi and apologies if this appears to be a stupid question.
I recently upgraded my wheels to Easton Orion IIs, they had very good reports. I am not a fast rider, but during the Cumberland Challenge last weekend, I noticed that my bike appeared to be noticeably faster going downhill. The Sportive event is not a race and certainly I approached it as a challenge, but I felt a tad guilty when people had passed me on the climbs, only for me to freewheel past them on the descents. I know it certainly was nothing to do with me.
Could it be that my wheels were so much better, or perhaps just the extra mass that I was carrying, falling to the centre of the earth faster.
Appreciate a confirmation.
Steve

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Light wheels should help going uphill or when you try to accellerate the wheel remeber that old guy, Newton? A body at rest will stay at rest etcetra. We are all subject to the same force of gravity so our accelleration is the same as the next guy. Your mass (or my mass in my case) helps to maintain your speed for a longer period (ie a body in motion will stay in motion unless an external force acts on the body).

Your old wheels may have had tire with a high rolling restence and your bearings may have been shot which would have made a big difference in final velocity.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    hi limitand beyond,if you went past me in the last 20 miles it was because i had a slow puncture and had to keep stopping to pump some air into the tyre. Hope you enjoyed the ride, I found it quite tough particularly around Bewcastle area. What time did you do? I was justover 7 hours ,couldnot believe how fast some were going up the hills. Thought I was doing ok until the Lune RC train went past like I was standing still. Looking forward to next year. :lol: