zasker

kev2b3
kev2b3 Posts: 159
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
hi all
just to let you know i am completely new to mountain bikes but i have been using a carrera gryphon for the past 2 years for my daily commute to work. a few of my mates have just started cycling off road and i have decided to have a go. i have looked at a few bikes but i dont want to spend huge amounts of money on one just incase i dont take to the mountain bike scene. the bike that takes my fancy is the gt zasker and ebay have a few going. i just want to know which is the better model to go for. i have about £500 to spend on one.

Comments

• The GT Zaskar is a classic frame, was the original hardcore hardtail but I've looked on ebay and the complete bikes available at the mo leave a little to be desired. Are you intending to buy complete or build it yourself? Whats the intended usage for your bike? To be honest for £500 there would probably be better options available, Get back with some more details and we can make a more informed suggestion, oh, and read this. You could buy a better bike 2nd hand but the support from a bike shop when buying your 'first' bike can be very valuable.
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    i have built a few racing bikes before so building up my first mtb may be a good option. ill use the bike off road mostly on the weekends and maybe as a change i could use it as my commute. i have also looked at the Klein Attitude. what do you think
  • To be honest building the bike yourself would go over your stated budget by a fair bit, a decent Zaskar frame would be at least £100, when you factor in suspension forks, wheels, the groupset, and of course the fiddly bits like bars, stem e.t.c. then £500 probably wouldn't buy stuff of suitable quality for the frame. The Klein is something I don't know too much about but they always look amazing and are reviewed well.

This Klein?

Looks good actually but its hard to tell from pics alone, maybe some of the other forum readers could donate an opinion????

This caught my eye

I did look over the next few days worth of auctions but nothing else really stood out, there's a Zaskar but its an oldie, probably more hassle for you than its worth. I'd still give serious consideration to buying your first bike new from a local shop though. And the Carrera Fury from halfords seems to get very good reviews for just under £500 (and 10% when you take the voucher from a box of cornflakes).
  • Oh, and I'd personally go for the orange over the klein
  • that is damn nice but i'd still go with the orange
  • If you like the Zaskar, the GT Avalanche is very similar design. you should be able to get something decent for your budget.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are a couple of good examples of Zaskars on ebay right now, but it is a risk as you have no idea if it would fit. Also limited travel on the frames ie 60-80mm.
  • So did you get sorted then Kev2b3?