After a decade away

nixon
nixon Posts: 3
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

This post belongs here, not because I am new but becuase I have been away for so long! Im after advice, however first a few details about me.

I first got into this world when I was 11 and rode and raced until I was about 16 (I am now 26). Due to school, univeristy, work then a mortgage Ive been away but want to come back.

The problem I have is that everything has changed. I still googled for "Mountain Biking UK" - and of course hit here! BTW, is Mint Source still in the magazines? I can accept that things move on but now Im at a loss with my current bike. The question really is, do I keep my current ride as is and invest in a newer more up to date bike, or do I upgrade parts? This is where you guys come in with you up to date knowledge!

I have a 1995 (I think) Cannondale Franck Roman - I think it is very similar to a M400 of the day. Its completely rigid, has cantalever brakes. These are things Im most worried about. Other things that are on it (that I have idea if they still exist!!) are, Flight Titanium saddle, Mavic 217 rims, some AceraX (excuse the spelling if thats wrong) hubs and a few Deore XT parts kicking about, plus some Onza spds.

I suppose the question is do I really need to worry about the disc brakes that I now see on new bikes; are they worth it? I would like front suspension, but will anything fit?! Ive looked on a few cycle shop websites and they dont appear to offer measurements of the diameter - is there now a standard size? Is there anything else that has changed a lot that just wont work with my bike?

So finally, should I keep everything as is and enjoy the dusty bike (ive yet to find it in my dads garage!), in all its old skool glory or do I put a bit of life back into it? I would dearly love to ride it off road for a few more years to come as it is a lovely looking bike.

Thanks for reading :)

Nixon

Comments

• Hello,

After a similar break I've recently returned, there have been quite a few changes as I'm sure you'll have noticed but essentially its the same sport, just enjoy it.

In answer to you're first question about the brakes I'd say just try it as it is and see how you feel although i'd recommend changing the canti's and levers to the slightly more modern (although still old fashioned) V brake system. This can be done quite cheaply using these.

As for suspension forks, does your 'dale have the oversize headtube? I'm pretty sure that adaptors are available so maybe just pop it along to your LBS, they should be more than happy to help.

Basically just ride what you've got though and upgrade as necessary, the basic mountain bike is still the same beast at heart.
  • wow thanks for the quick reply!

Now you mention it I do remember those V brakes just coming in as I was leaving. Gawd I feel old! haha well I'll get back into this, if it kills me!

I think you are right- a trip down to the shop is in order. Im sure the front tyre is perished by now... new rubber please. I quite fancy spending money too. Oh and I need a new helmet, I have a Giro Hammerhead SC from way back then. I heard its not good to use old helmets (something about UV)? Either way, Id prefer to get a new helmet.

It might sound a little silly, but back in day (where I used to live), biking was becoming a bit snobby and one particular shop would scoff a bit if you didnt know what you were talking about, or if you didnt have XTR all over your bike. By reading posts here I can see that attitude certainly doesnt exist elsewhere!

Ive just spotted the "post your bike" thread in the XC forum. I think I might go find my old steed, give it a wash, take a photo and see what comments I get!

Thanks BoredHousewife you've made me feel a lot happier :)
  • There's still plenty of people kicking around on older bikes, I've got a 97 LTS-DH sitting cracked in the garage and currently I'm on a 2001 Kona Scab. I'm sure if you hang around here a while you'll come across Supersonic who rides a 96 Zaskar. Don't worry about the age of the bike (or rider), its the riding that counts :wink:

Oh, and defo post pics, we all love pics.....and you can add them in your signature too (see mine)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I just returned to MTBing a couple of months ago after a 10-ish year break to. Still had my old Proflex 856 but I had some spare cash so thought rather than spend money on sorting it out I'd get a new bike (I'd highly recommend you do the same if you have cash to burn otherwise your bike should be fine). One thing I have noticed is the terrain people go on nowdays seems a lot more gnarly than when I was riding before, part of that's probably old age on my part but I think it's also due to bike development with full suspension that actually works, stronger bikes and disc brakes letting riders do more. So you might get a shock if you were used to XC racing in the 90's and then go straight to a MTB centre like Afan.