Lazy tw@t

splattcp
splattcp Posts: 27
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
haven't been out for weeks, keep meaning to and love it when I do, just cant get motivated! (house needs fixing school holidays (now over) blah blah
I was going to buy a new bike but don't see the point at the mo..
Whats it going to take...
Your encouragement is required...

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    When you have spare time, just put your lycra or cycling clothing on.

Then see if you don't feel like a bike ride.

I find if I lack motivation once I get the clothes on I always feel like going on a bike ride!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Must admit I pondered it a bit this morning before finally donning my lycra and heading out.

Like the sunrise, I'm getting later. I've slipped from 6am to 7am in just a couple of weeks. :oops:

As for my motivation, apart from hiking in the Lakes its really the only exercise I get. My work hours prevent me from five-a-side and I don't want to be a f@t b@$t@rd.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    hurry up lazy bones,soon be winter-dark mornings,dark nights,cold,wet and miserable and that's before you get out of the house. :lol: You'll be wishin you'd made the most of these better days. GET OOT THE HOOSE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!
  • You're at the first stage of getting back on the bike. I go from this stage to the one where I promise myself to go out tomorrow then find an excuse not to. Eventually I go out for a small ride and end up going further than I meant to and wonder why I didn't go out before. Then I'm hooked again.

I'm fortunate in that I have a 2 mile ride to work that I can extend to 20 miles if I want to. When I'm hooked I wrestle with the decision all day whether to ride the 2 or the 20 miles. Then when I get to the crossroads it's the 20. Every time (unless it is torrential).

Also, I find that when I do get out cycling I have more motivation to get the other jobs done.

I know I'm alright, the voices tell me so.

If I can just get through this and to Christmas/January I can order myself a new bike. :twisted:
  • Have children.

They never fail to give me all the motivation I need by encouraging me to seek peace. Fast. :lol:

Also, don't get food poisoning.

It is a pain in the arse.

...and the stomach...and the head...oh the aches....the aches.... :(
    And yet another self-indulgent blog
    My Rhythm of Life is syncopated
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Come on! Get on with it! :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I do 14 miles a day for my commuting, I have yet to find any source of motivation to get out the door to do a "leisure" trip.

Perhaps finding something regular to do where cycling is sensible transport rather than a workout? Im a REALLY Lazy person, I cannot find motivation to exercise for its own sake, but if I have a practical need to do something then I have no problems doing it. I sold my car so I have no "easy" option.

I enjoy my cycleing time, but that alone isnt sufficient motivation to get me out of the house.
  • Perhaps you need some company on the ride? When you join up with other cyclists often their enthusiasm rubs off.
    Frankly, if you can't motivate yourself to get out when the weather is great when will you ever?
    Just get out and do it and you'll be grinning again. DIY can wait for the rain.
  • Use the commute as the reason. You HAVE to get to work (assuming you work!) so why not take the bike instead of the car if circumstances allow?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Have children.

They never fail to give me all the motivation I need by encouraging me to seek peace. Fast. :lol:

:(

yup. Love them all dearly but a couple of hours peace every other night as I ride my bike definitely keeps me sane.
    Once you've fallen off the exercise wagon the hardest bit is climbing on again. Once you've taken the plunge, you'll be hooked again.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    splattcp wrote:
    haven't been out for weeks, keep meaning to and love it when I do, just cant get motivated! (house needs fixing school holidays (now over) blah blah
    I was going to buy a new bike but don't see the point at the mo..
    Whats it going to take...
    Your encouragement is required...
    Find a fit roadie girlfriend.
  • Like Nolf says, take a deep breath and go get your shorts on. Once you've started the process you'll end up going out, maybe after a bit of faffing mind you! Hardest bit is just to get up and start the ball rolling. You'll end up going for at least a half hour tootle.

Or maybe just read the "why do you do it" thread that was knocking around recently. Thats got some good reasons to go out.