Bumpy tyres

richardast
richardast Posts: 273
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I've just returned to road biking having been away since I was a teenager (nearly 20 years out).
My new road bike has 23mm Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres that seem to have a very annoying characteristic. A short section of the circumference of the tyre is about 5mm lower than the rest of it, regardless of how much I inflate it. This gives the effect of a small bump with every revolution of the wheel.
The bump is on both tyres, but on a different part of each tyre. The wheels are perfectly true.
Any ideas please.

Comments

• It sounds as if the bike has been standing for a long time without moving and the tyres have deformed - take it back and get new ones fitted.
  • Thanks for the reply, but the brand new tyres went on the brand new wheels very recently when I put the bike together, and it's not been left in the same position without moving.
  • Ah - I'd assumed that you'd bought a complete bike - take the tyres back to where you bought them from.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Could it possibly be that you had accidentally put a fold in the tube as you were installing?

My guess is a bad batch of tyres - or perhaps you'd had it resting with the tyre against a source of heat?
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    also check to see if the bump is opposite the valve as the tube can sometimes stick out there.
  • chad
    chad Posts: 37
    This is a common problem with these tyres - its friction of the tyre rubbing against the rim of the wheel stopping the tyre seat correctly. All you need to do is either wet the tyre with a bit of water or rub some washing up liquid around the bead of the tyre. The tyre will seat properly when you inflate it.

Chad
  • Just checked in for the first time in days. Nicely timed.
    Cheers Chad. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
  • I had a similar problem with the Gatorskin - but rather than a bump they had a side to side kink. I removed and refitted the tyre several times and it was always there.
    I returned the tyre to Halfords who replaced it. I assume that you can get manufacturing defects.
    Hills do make I sweat a lot