britmark
britmark Posts: 12
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi Everyone.

Just a quick line to say hi and introduce myself to ya.

My name is Mark and i live in Huddersfield. I collect my new bike and my partners bike tommorrow from Halfords. I used to go cycling a lot when i was younger, but packed it in when i passed my driving test.
I even remember cycling from Carisle to Newcastle with my mother when i was 14 years old. And cycling round Brittany for 2 weeks.
I have chosen to get back into it,as we have just given up the cigs and want to get a bit of weight of, and get fitter.
Anyway we are going for a little ride up the Huddersfield canal tommorrow, so i will let you know how i get on.
Mark

Comments

• Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    Welcome to the forums Mark, out of interest what bikes have you bought. :D
  • Greetings, Mark!

I also got back on the treaders after giving up smoking and I've found it gives me a great incentive to stay off them - I'm enjoying it so much that I'd rather cycle than smoke and I know I can't do both!

Make sure you give the bikes a good check over after you pick them up and before you ride them - Halfords have a reputation for sometimes handing out bikes that are a little less than perfectly set up. My darling wifey's bike came from there and the list of setup problems I found with it was frightening; it's actually fairly decent to ride for the price now it's set up right so it's worth making the effort, even with an Apollo.

Have fun tomorrow! :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Hi

I have bought x rated x.o5 dirt jump, and our lass as bought a apollo xc.24. Nothing to shout about but it a start. :lol:

I will check them in that case thanks for the advice.
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    britmark wrote:
    Nothing to shout about but it a start. :lol:

TBH I think the apollo's aint to bad for the money depending what you want it for, our eldest son has had one for ages and trust me it has been to hell and back the way he treats it, they are a bit heavy but you will get used to it, you could chuck one off a cliff and still pedal home on it. There is a lot to be said for simplicity.
  • Aye, you get what you pay for with an Apollo. DW's bike isn't that heavy as it's an ally frame, and not that simple with twenty-odd gears but it's ok. I have had a brake adjuster snap off (literally) so I don't think the quality control on the castings is the best but it's always been bodgable stuff so far - most of the problems have been down to the assemblybot at Halfords not having a clue.

The other problem, of course, is derisory sneers from bike snobs but f*ck 'em, frankly. A bike doesn't have to cost a fortune to be fun.
  • Based on my x-rated bmx experiences........RUN!!!!! RUN A MILE IN THE OTHER DIRECTON!!!!!! or you could just not do anything to heavy thatl put too much stress on your bike
  • Ive had an x-rated bmx, and it was very weak, it ended up with the frame cracking, wheels buckling and crank snapping within a few months of doing basic stuff that everyone else was doing. Ive heard bad things about the mountain bikes as well, but just dont be to hard on your bike and it should be ok
  • I think the thing to remember with low-end mountain bikes is that they're not really expected to be used off-road - not on anything more demanding than towpaths and bridleways anyhow. Anybody who's genuinely going to be bouncing from rock to rock down the side of a mountain would likely put a bit more research and money into their choice.

This kind of bike is aimed squarely at fitness riders and commuters, with the rufty-tufty styling just being a fashion statement really. It sounds like Mark and his other half are going to be using them for fun 'riding around' rather than anything too X-treem so they should be ok - DW isn't interested in serious off-road riding (she just got the Apollo 'cos she liked the look of it) and it seems to be up to the job.
  • Good morning.

Yeah shadowduck is correct we will be just cyclng on the tow path and the road.

I am to old to be jumping from rock to rock :lol:

I like this site they is plenty to look at.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    britmark - i used to live in Hudds and you can go for an easy ride if you get the train to marsden (about £1.50?) and then ride back to town from standedge tunnel. its about 7 miles all on towpaths
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • That's what we are going to do today, but we are going to cycle both ways instead of getting the train.

Just been to get the bikes but they ar'nt ready yet, told them i want them ready for 1 o clock or i want a refund, they have had a week to get them ready, not a very good start. :lol::lol:
  • Bloody truck drivers get everywhere eh Mark :wink::lol::lol::lol:
  • Wow, 14 miles for your first outing..! My first time back on a bike I did a mile at most and my legs were like jelly for an hour. :oops:

So, did Halfords come through with the bikes? How did the trip go?
  • ExBiker wrote:
    Bloody truck drivers get everywhere eh Mark :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Come on then spill the beans, who are you. :?: :?: :lol::lol:
  • Okay where shall i start :cry::cry: What a day i have had

Yep the bikes where ready when we went for em.

You where right about the faults with em, me other halfs was okay, what can i say about mine. My handlebars came lose,and the seat came lose. :shock: :shock:
    Luckily another cyclist had an alan key to tighten the handlebars, but they did come lose again on the way back. :roll:

Can some tell me why i get a squealing noise every time i apply the brakes? is this because the wheels are new or do you reckon they could be faulty.

The ride was good and we really enjoyed it. I am feeling it now.going in bath for a soak soon. :lol::lol: Are lass was moaning but i think she did really well as she is only a small person 4' 11" to be precise.

The think that spoiled it though was when i got back to the car i realised i had lost my wallet and phone :roll: :evil: :evil: So i ended up having to do half the ride again to look for them, and to cut a long story short a bloke found them and took them home, although minus the 70 quid which was in the wallet. At least i got thre phone back and the wallet complete with me cards etc.(note to myself,leave wallet at home next time. :lol: )

Looking forward to next weekend to do it again. :lol:
  • britmark wrote:
    ExBiker wrote:
    Bloody truck drivers get everywhere eh Mark :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Come on then spill the beans, who are you. :?: :?: :lol::lol:

Simon AKA Itsmeagain from ldf.

I joined here the other day too looking for inspiration to get my ass back on the seat :lol::lol:
  • Aah yeah so did i.

God i ache this morning. Going to Alton Towers for the day today.
  • britmark wrote:
    You where right about the faults with em, me other halfs was okay, what can i say about mine. My handlebars came lose,and the seat came lose. :shock: :shock:
    Sound like Halfords were on their usual form. :roll:
    britmark wrote:
    Can some tell me why i get a squealing noise every time i apply the brakes? is this because the wheels are new or do you reckon they could be faulty.
    If you do a search on the forum you'll find a shedload of threads about squeaky brakes. Assuming your blocks are aligned properly with the rim etc. and they don't quieten down as they bed in, I'd suggest trying different blocks / inserts until you find a compound you can live with. I'm on Avid Rim Wrangler II's which aren't too bad with my (Ritchey) rims and give decent braking, but still squeal sometimes in the wet.
    britmark wrote:
    ... minus the 70 quid which was in the wallet ...
    Ouch. :shock:

I avoid that problem by never having £70 to my name at any given moment. :lol: