Clunky rear cassette

muzzer
muzzer Posts: 6
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I'm new to road cycling, and just bought a planet-x carbon road bike with Shimano 105 set. After a week, the rear cassette appears to first creak then ping (much louder) when tension is applied to it. When riding this happens during the max power of the down stroke both sides, but can also make it happen with the bike stationary either by just putting tension on the chain through either pedal arm or even by pulling the top part of the chain with my hand so there's enough tension against the cassette (obviously harder to do but ruled out the bottom bracket from being the problem).

EDIT:The chain is properly lubricated so I don't think it's anything to do with that.
I've also noticed the rear cassette rotates very fractionally when the 'ping' happens.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I don't really want to ship the thing back to planet-x and the LBS waiting time for repairs is a couple of weeks :(

Comments

• Check the bearings in the rear hub, they could be shot, i had a similar problem with a DH bike a little while ago, that was a collapsed Hub.
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I took the wheel to Evans in Woking, who were really helpful and they had their chief mechanic look at it free of charge. Turns out the free hub bearings are notchy and this is causing the pinging. As the bikes only a week old obviously it wasn't put together properly so it's going back to px.