Tour of Britain

campagsarge
campagsarge Posts: 434
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Is it me or does the ToB profile seem rather lame? I know there is the thing with each region wanting a start and finish but given the areas where the race is going, the lack of hills is rather poor.

The race could be like last year - a break on stage one then game over.

However, I will be going to see the stage in Yorkshire.

Comments

• Its very hard to find peleton destroying climbs in Britain. Its also hard to fit North East Wales and North Scotland into a 7 day tour, considering how far away they are.

The one place they don't go enough is to the South Western Moors. They are really steep and come one after another after another. Good to see them come to Exmoor this year, though there is too much of a flat at the end to do some real damage.
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    The Introduction of a prologue should make it more interesting I think.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • Ha, ha Weyayeman, I like your Avatar. Feck!

Surprised they have not put in a climb like Holme Moss in, That has been used in the Leeds Classic and whilst not a massive climb in terms of pro racing, it can string the peleton out.

The distance of stage transfers is quite large too...moan, moan...I know I should not knock our pro-tour but I think they could have been a bit more creative in the route.

It is going to be over eight days next year.
  • Is it me or does the ToB profile seem rather lame?

I cycled the stage 1 route yesterday, and, apart from White Hill which is pretty steep, but very short, there wasn't anything for climbers to get stuck into.

Beautiful route though. real chocolate box England, Test Valley and the New Forest.

With a little bit extra on either end, it was my first 100 miler too. A great day.
  • I am a little disappointed they are not going up Porlock hill tomorrow. I originally come from Porlock. As a teenager it took me nearly a year of trying before i could cycle up Porlock Hill. The hill was often on many of the tours of old and i have read it is one of the steepest classified climbs in Europe all be it short.

Nowadays i dont think i could get past the first hairpin. It was a scream coming down it though at full tilt scaring other road users with your speed (even better on a sledge in the snow). If there are any locals on here can you tell me if they are going down Dunster Steep or going around the bend past the gatehouse into Porlock.

I think the Exmoor stage is the toughest of the tour though, just a shame they are going up the Toll Road although that is quite a slog.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • Is it me or does the ToB profile seem rather lame? I know there is the thing with each region wanting a start and finish but given the areas where the race is going, the lack of hills is rather poor.

The race could be like last year - a break on stage one then game over.

However, I will be going to see the stage in Yorkshire.

I was surprised to see the relative flatness of some of the stages. According to the Sep Cycling Plus mag, the climbing on Stage 1 today amounted to only 3,648 feet of ascent over 87 miles. In comparison I did a 72 mile circuit on Saturday in the Yorkshire Dales which was my longest ride to date, and my computer showed that I had ascended over 6,400 feet. It took me nearly all day as I'm not a very fast cyclist and I'm getting on a bit - but I was pleased that I somehow managed to get up all the hills, albeit in the lowest of gears.

Even the Yorkshire stage on Thursday which is 103 miles long, has only 4,173 feet of climbing. I would have thought they would have found a more hilly route in Yorkshire.

Anyway I'm planning to go down to Ilkley on Thursday and watch the riders ascend the Cow and Calf which is a category 3 climb.