Signals to other cyclists

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I was following another cyclist this morning on the way in (I could tell he was a better/fitter cyclist than me by the definition on his calves) anyway he's slowed due to traffic so I caught up and stayed level with him up a hill but there was traffic behind us so rather than racing (it's the end of the week I get tired much more easily) I dropped behind him and we continued on...

After a while he patted his flank/arse (like the asda advert kinda thing) what does this mean?? as I've not seen it before

I assume he was telling me he had me in his pocket?

any other hand signals I should know about?
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Maybe he was saying 'Look at my toned @rse'" :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Daniel B wrote:
    Maybe he was saying 'Look at my toned @rse'" :oops:

I'd tried to write off any potential sexual connotations....

plus, I've got buns of steel
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    *snip*... I've got buns of steel
    I've got buns of cinnamon. :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • I often get drivers making an "O" shape with there thumb and fingers at me and waving it back and forth. I think it means "cheer up it may never happen". I make sure I smile all the way home. :D
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Depending on the side he was patting, he was indicating to move the other direction as there was a hazard ahead. Some see the signal as more of 'wafting a fart'. If he used his left hand - move to the right and vice versa.
  • It's your turn to take the front.............no free rides....................I'll have you in the sprint to the line..........or maybe not. Warning about road ahead.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    he might also have been indicating to you which side to ride, to make best his slipstream if the wind was coming from an angle? sounds like a very decent guy to be doing that though!
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Clever - I reckon he realised that you could fly past him at any time and embarass him with a turn of speed, courtesy of all the helpful hints posted on this forum. Just like a jockey on the finishing straight, he had to whip himself to find the last bit of energy in his legs. Personally, I would take that as a compliment
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    As Gavin has pointed out he was indicating a hazard with Roadie sign language. Pointing right (with left hand) as he almost certainly was indicates hazard to the left coming up (parked cars, slow rider, peds etc).

He was being nice and helping you! Take it as a compliment - he's obviously assumed you belong to the serious roadie crew!

1) Hazard coming on left - left hand wafted / pointed across lower back / arse
    shouts of "rider left" "branches" etc as required

2) Hazard coming on right - right hand wafted / pointed across lower back / arse

3) Hole - Hand with finger extended pointed at hole - shouts as necessary

4) Slowing - Hand with flat palm extended down - shouts as necessary

5) Stopping - Hand with flat palm extended up - shouts as necessary

etc....etc...
  • so to get this correct, hazard on left means using left hand but pointing to right; bit confusing isn't it?
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    No - They're indicating to squeeze / move right away from a hazard on the left!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hand signals do vary, but the gist of them are described as above. If you race in a bunch, you'll also get signals from the front if the course veers left or right. Putting your hand up also means I'm slowing / stopping i.e. puncture / mechanical. However, it isn't quite a universal language in cycling - in Belgium for example, they never signal for the road conditions, only for the directions.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..