How do I measure my stem length (ooh err missus)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Afternoon,

I am thinking of purchasing a shorter stem for my Felt, but how do I find out the length of the existing one?

Is it smply measuring it from the very back to the very front, or is it like a lot of measurements within the cycling, convoluted, and different from one manufacturer to the next :roll:

The reason I am thinking of purchasing a shorter stem, is that I feel a little bit stretched out at the moment, and this could be the ticket.

Any brands to look out for?

Was thinking of this one maybe:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ice%20Stem

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Centre to centre, generally.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    If there are any graphics on the stem, it's usually written somewhere on it, probably out of view. If not, measure it center to center. Contrary to some other bike measurements, this should be standard. I don't know what you're using now, but 50mm is an awfully short stem for a road bike. Then again, I run a 140 so anything seems short.
  • Stems will normally be amultiple of 5mm, so you can normally get by with a tape measure if you keep this in mind. And yes it's centre to centre. i.e. centre of where steerer tube would be to centre of where bars would be.

is this for a road bike or MTB?
    If it's a road bike the vice is fairly chunky, nothing wrong with that but you can probably get short-ish cross country stems that are a bit more slender and light than that one.

i've got a 105mm one you can have if you genuinely want it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Thankyou all for the info, and thanks for your kind offer FKB.

I'll measure up later today and will message you if the 105mm stem is suitable.

Yes it's for my Felt roadbike.

Many thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18