Looking for a really inexpensive road bike

richk
richk Posts: 564
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
yes, yes I realise it's probably been done to death but I'm looking to buy a really inexpensive road bike. Budget is probably ~£200.

I've got a mountain bike (now semi slick shod) being used as a commuter but have found a (very) local bike club that do Sunday morning runs (apparently ~45 miles at ~15mph) which is what I'm thinking in terms of wanting it for.

Anybody got any suggestions? (Other than spend more - that's not an option).

thanks
[/b]
There is no secret ingredient...

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Hi there,

I expect your best bet will be 2nd hand, though you can get some good deals on the Raleigh Airlites on ebay, but they are around £240. Decathlon might be worth a look, not sure how much the Sport 2 is, but worth a look.

Other than that I guess you might get lucky with a sale bike, maybe look towards the more 'unfashionable well known' brands, ie not Specialized/Trek, maybe you'll get a good deal that way.

Good luck.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Thanks - there's a Decathlon shop not too far from home so might try & get over there for a look...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    RichK wrote:
    yes, yes I realise it's probably been done to death but I'm looking to buy a really inexpensive road bike. Budget is probably ~£200.

I've got a mountain bike (now semi slick shod) being used as a commuter but have found a (very) local bike club that do Sunday morning runs (apparently ~45 miles at ~15mph) which is what I'm thinking in terms of wanting it for.

Anybody got any suggestions? (Other than spend more - that's not an option).

thanks
    [/b]
    Well, I managed to knock up a really nice single-speed bike for £25! It would be ideal for 15 mph club-runs in a flattish area. I wouldn't fancy riding its 39/15 gear up here in Yorkshire, but I'll be using it for solely for outings in rural Warwickshire when I visit family/friends down there.

I had to buy a new seatpost and cables but the other bits came from my junk box and a generous mate who lent me the frame/forks and wheels (he's rather attached to the Basso frame so he won't sell it at a price that I can afford). It's amazing what you can find in skips or in the garden sheds of cycling friends. If you ask about you might be able to do the same as me. There must be loads of perfectly good steel frames languishing about as their owners have switched to new carbon fibre machines.

I bet if you ask nicely, someone reading this thread would probably be willing to donate parts to you just to see them "go to a good home".

I had an old Claud Butler which I let go for the price of a Pizza to someone off the old C+ forum. I wasn't using the bike and I didn't want it to just rust away in my cellar.

Some pictures of the bike:

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

(I've sorted out the positions of the brake levers and bars since the photos were taken)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Halfords? Require a bit of setting up yourself, but otherwise the cheaper bikes from there aren't bad for the money.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Good skills ColinJ, your single-speed looks really cool! 8)
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have a Raleigh Airlite, bought a year ago for £190; look for special offers. I used the bike through last winter and the only thing that needed changing was the bottom bracket. On the second hand note a friend of mine was clearing out his garage and he gave me an old racer, free! After a clean up I have used this through most of summer the only new parts required were a chain and freewheel. So keep a good look out if you lucky a bargain may not be too far away.