Maratona dles Dolomites

BigG67
BigG67 Posts: 582
Anyone done this?

I really like the look of it and wondered it if was as good as I've heard. Also any of the approved travel companies that can be recommended.

Cheers

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I rode it back in 2000. It's a superb event; well organised, lots of riders (circa 8000), the most stunning mountain scenery in Europe and a tough route. If you can get an entry, and you'll need to enter soon I think, then you should definitely do it.

I arranged my own travel - flew out with Ryanair, hired a car and spent the week before riding in the area. I booked a hotel in La Villa (where the event starts) via the tourist office there who were very helpful.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It's easy enough to book accommodation via the internet and phone.

Entry to the Maratona is via a lottery system and as a foreign rider you have a reasonable chance of success (the event is to promote tourism into the area) and the lottery opens in the next month sometime. Check the www.maratona.it website.

Definitely go for longer than just a long weekend – there's so much good mountain road riding in the area.
  • I am into doing this next year as well ... have ridden and hiked in the area and would second everything andyp says ... it is simply amazing.

if you have a car, accomodation is no problem as you can drive to the start. and that area has lots of hotel accomodation and at that time of year is relatively quiet.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    It's a fabulous event. I can't recommend it highly enopugh. Closed roads, good feed stations, stuinning scenery....I could go on for hours. Cycling Weekly organise an entry that gurantees you a place. I did it this year and will probably do it again next year.

Contact Ian Stuart on wdcyclesport@hotmail.com
  • I did it this year with my wife. Beautiful route and great cycling in the area. Stayed at the Rosa Alpina in San Cassiano which was close and very nice. Sign up via the internet was easy. As for tour groups, you don't need one, but I know the Carpenter/Phinney group has a trip there and they stay on the route in a very nice hotel.
    pbraun
  • Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    I did this and the Etape du Tour this year. Preferred this one to the Etape. Like that you start and finish in nearly the same place. So no major transfer usually. Had a 5k ride to the start and 3k ride home from the finish. Plus. as most cyclists are staying in the area, the weekened before the cyclists take over the town and the mountain passes. That was great.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ...and the roads are closed too ! Can't recommend it highly enough as an event.