Problems with my bike, or is it me?

sc0ttb88
sc0ttb88 Posts: 33
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new bike and really fancy the Giant Reign 2 '08 model but am holding off for a few more months untill I get the finances sorted!

Anyway, just a quick question that I have… I'm using my Db M05 which is really basic but am learning lots on how to do trails and building my fitness up as I go along. However, I am finding it very difficult to do steep hill climbs and equally steep decents. Also, bunny hops and wheelie drops are proving quite difficult! The weight of my bike is quite heavy, the gears constantly skip and the brakes just aren't great on the steep decents. But will it be that much easier with a good quality bike like the Reign? I want to make sure that it's not just me!

Any advice or comments are appreciated, :)

Thanks

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The Reign 2 isn't a light bike, wheelies off things will probably end up harder as well due to the suspension. Climbing will offer more traction but you may find you have to smooth out your pedalling stroke to stop the suspension moving. Bunny hops could probably be argued either way, when you get used to it the recoil of the suspension can give an extra boost upwards :)

Gearing and brakes aren't really your old bikes fault, they need setting up, for the gear it would probably be a 10 minute job, it's probably off due to cable stretch.

Decents will be awesome tho :D

Are you sure jumping from 0 rear travel to loads is the best idea? I did the same and ended up selling my old bike for an FSR XC which is much smoother and faster on the type of terrain I ride (normal XC trails), it can climb too.
  • Personally, drops became easier to achieve due to the confidence that good quality suspension gave me over my hardtail. Also, the geometry on the reign will be a lot better thought out and slack so it is just as likely that wheelie drops will become easier.
    Having said that I have never come across a drop which needed to be wheelied off as opposed to ridden up to at a decent speed and pulling up accordingly with the height of the drop.
    Bunny hops are best learnt on hard suspensionor a hardtail and you'll need to keep practising on the diamondback. The best way I can describe the motion is to curl your toes into the sole of your shoe as if you're trying to curl the shoe around the pedal and be leaning forward as much as you feel comfortable with, then lift the bars in conjunction with pushing back and up on the pedals (feet need to be facing the floor at as close to perpendicular as possible and so that your feet don't slide off the pedals.
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • If I was you I would get a decent hardcore hardtail, as they help you with the basics
  • The Trance is supposed to be getting more travel and be lighter next year so might be up to some decent drops. My Commencal Meta 5.5.1 is also pretty competent on rough ground and has managed anything I can manage quite easily.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Cheers for the replies! I haven't actually seen any of the new Giant models as the shop I use won't have them in till the 15th of this month. However, I do want a relatively light bike as XC is mainly what I am doing.

There is so mush to consider when spending so much on a bike! I can spend up to £1300 but I won't be buying another one for at least 2 yrs, so it's important for me to get it right :)

When I say I'm finding the bunny hops difficult, I can jump a high kerb no probs but doing something over a foot is just near impossible for me! There are some logs on the trails I ride and I have to get of and lift the bike over which really ruins my flow...

I originally did want to stick with a good quality hardtail but there is a lot of mixed opinion from people and I've sort of been edging towards the full sus. I thought it would be better for doing all mountain and would allow me to be more flexible in what types of trails and areas I could attempt. I want to do cross country and XC when it comes to racing but I still love a good downhill stretch every now and again!

Decisions decisions... :lol: Another three months to decide so I'll just keep on practising. Doing 5 nights a week on the bike so at the minute so I will get there eventually!
  • I would go for a top end Hardtail if i were you, for £1300 you won't get a very good full sus in terms of spec. I would have a look at the new Chris Boardman range that Hellfrauds stock, the top end bike is £999, But comes with the spec of a £1500 bike, I have just picked up the Team modle of the Boardman bike and i can't fault it in the slightest, nice and light and works very well.

www.boardmanbikes.co.uk

Have a look at them, the thing you will need to decide is what you wnat from a bike, alot of the new 2008 bikes that are coming out are nice but some times lacking in the spec, if you aim for £1000 on the bike then thats £300 to upgrade it, and for that money you will have a wicked bike that is by far better than any £1300 full sus.

Good luck. let us know what you end up getting?
    ....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....
  • Cheers some good advice there! It would suit me better to spend £1000 then i could upgrade it at my leisure and also enjoy picking and fitting the parts as well!

I'll look into the hardtails and actually go round and try some out before deciding. Soon as i have a shortlist of 3 i'll post back here for some more advice. Thanks again
  • nice one.
  • can definitely recommend my bike... i can do things on it i never imagined i'd be able to do once
  • Well, if you are bloody quick and want a superb all-mountain bike for under £1300 then JD Cycles in Ilkley are knocking 25% of their remaining stock of Commencal Meta 5.5.2s (Best Sub-£1750 long-travel full-susser of 2007 in What MTB, 10/10 in MBR). Normally £1699 they are going for £1275 but they only have 2 Large ones left - which is probably ok if you are 5'10" or over (I'm 5'11" with a Large 5.5.1 and it's an awesome bike and really fun on anything except tarmac).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Demon09
    Demon09 Posts: 1
    hey guy's and girls.
    just found this site so i had to join :lol.
    ok were do i start' as you's can probaly guess am a beginner from the start,
    and i am getting in to the trail biking alot these day's i ride a trail at craigavon lakes not sure if any of you guy's have heard of it but it is an average trail and am getting plenty of practice in on it.

at the min am looking for a MTB club to join but am finding it hard to find one in my area :( .
    which is in craigavon.

hope to here from you's :D .
  • drewcole81
    drewcole81 Posts: 528
    Demon09 wrote:
    hey guy's and girls.
    just found this site so i had to join :lol.
    ok were do i start' as you's can probaly guess am a beginner from the start,
    and i am getting in to the trail biking alot these day's i ride a trail at craigavon lakes not sure if any of you guy's have heard of it but it is an average trail and am getting plenty of practice in on it.

at the min am looking for a MTB club to join but am finding it hard to find one in my area :( .
    which is in craigavon.

hope to here from you's :D .

Hello mate, did you mean to add that to another thread?

To intorduce yourself and ask a different question you'd be better off posting a new thread all of your own.