Screw on 8 speed freewheel

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited February 2008 in Road general
What are the pros and cons of using Mavic 501 screw on hubs and an 8 speed screw on block?

Are they not as strong as cassette hubs?

I am going to shimergo my Galaxy and saw that the Mavic 501's were GBP 69.95 they had a good reputation for being smooth and hard wearing. Just wanted to know what the down side was if there was one at all.

Thanks Gary

Comments

• Ultimately not as strong as a more modern freehub (the bearings support less of the axle on a screw thread hub), but Mavic 501s are a damned nice hub. Check they are set up for a 130mm OLN width though. They might only be 126mm wide. I've still got a 501 front hub in use as a touring wheel. It must be a good 14 or 15 years old, and I've only replaced the bearings once.
  • GaryGkn
    ah but now that I have found the 571 I would like a pair of these but I have not found any for sale. i presume they are rare?
  • ....as hens teeth, but mama, they sure are preeedddyyy.
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    the other difficulty you may have is finding and 8speed freewheel. i think around this time shimano stop making them to concentrate 'and market exclusivley' cassettes.
  • rendo wrote:
    the other difficulty you may have is finding and 8speed freewheel. i think around this time shimano stop making them to concentrate 'and market exclusivley' cassettes.

8sp freewheels to suit Shimano spacing are still available, being manufactured by Zenith and available at reasonable cost from Parkers, Spa Cycles and Byercycles to name a few shops.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • GaryGkn
    Ta David but now I want the Mavic 571 hub which is a cassette hub.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_mavic.html
  • fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    Sorry, very late to this thread (which I found by accident in an unrelated Google search,)but as a huge fan of Mavic hubs I just wanted to say . . . whilst the screw-on type is theoretically weaker due to the bearing spacing mentioned above, the reality is that the mega-high engineering standards and easy-peasy adjustability make them (IME) far stronger, more reliable and longer-lasting than any DuraAce or Campag Record hub. The bearings (if you ever do need to replace them,) are dirt cheap, and can be changed quicker than you can look at a cup & cone unit. Plus, if you don't need all 8 speeds, a 7-speed freewheel has the same spacing and will work with 8-speed shifters, thus allowing the use of the 500 and 550 hubs, which preceded the 501, are just as good,and are very widely available at ridiculously low prices conseidering their top-notch quality.
    fb
  • GaryGkn
    The Mavic hubs are very desireable but I have not seen any dirt cheap? Please send me a link. Much appreciated Gary
  • GaryGkn
    Most kind of you Spin!
    I now feel like I have a hub fetish.
  • I love my 501 hubs as I've never felt anything smoother running.
    At present I have it running on 7 speed with Sora STI's.
    Mine won't take an 8 speed block so I imagine it's set for 126mm. I've never had it apart and wonder can this be set wider to given the cartridge bearings??
  • GaryGkn
    Guess you have the 127 option?

MAVIC 501 SERIES ROAD BIKE HUBSET

The Mavic 501 road hubset has a threaded rear hub for use with a freewheel. The rear axle is 130mm long to accommodate 8 speed freewheels, or a steel end nut in the axle can be removed using a 5mm hex wrench and a 3mm aluminum spacer may be removed to reduce the axle length to just 127mm for use with 6 or 7 speed freewheels. The hub shell is made of aluminum, and polished to remove the marks from the lathe work performed to make it perfectly round.

http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/hu ... mavic.html
  • SJLcp
    SJLcp Posts: 239
    I also rate these hubs - I have had the 501's before and they are indestructable and long lasting - I recently bought a pair for a VITUS/MAVIC build = they come up quite often on Ebay

If you go for the 6/7 speed f/wheels they are a lot easier sourced of Ebay

Enjoy
  • GaryGkn
    I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
  • GaryGkn
    Cheers Spin!
  • GaryGkn
    Yes spotted that one as well! You don't see them and then they turn up!