Wiggins positive

dbg
dbg Posts: 846
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Apparently since signing for T-mobile he feels pretty upbeat. :D

Comments

• For real, any truth to rumours that he has received nutritional advice from the same doctors which have assisted Paula Radcliffe's transformation from 10k also-ran to marathon record-breaker? 8)
  • :shock: Please!!!!!!

I nearly had a heart attack- cycling is just so fragile now!!!!!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    son of a BITCH!!!!!!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Very good comedy. well done!
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    Salaco wrote:
    For real, any truth to rumours that he has received nutritional advice from the same doctors which have assisted Paula Radcliffe's transformation from 10k also-ran to marathon record-breaker? 8)

Why besmirch a top class athlete. Just to put the record straight on Paula I reprint the following

"Paula has compiled a most distinguished record as Britain's top distance runner, setting five British records at both 5000m and 10,000m, three at 3000m and two at half marathon from 1998 to 2002. All her previous achievements were capped by her sensational year in 2002. She had a superb London marathon win in April 2002, where her 2:18:56 was the second fastest ever run, over three minutes faster than the previous best in a women's only race and over four minutes better than the previous fastest debut marathon. Running on her own, she ran the second half marathon in 67:52, a time bettered by only 12 women at that distance alone.
    In the summer she took her first major championship track titles with extraordinary runs and she capped it all by taking 1:29 off the world record for the marathon in Chicago.
    Many of her successes have come in cross country, from her magnificent win over Wang Junxia to take the World Junior title in 1992 to her World gold and silver medals in 2001 and repeat win in 2002.
    Paula ran an extraordinary 30:43 to win the 2002 'World's Best' road 10km in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She broke the UK 10km road record of 30:38 on a hilly course in Richmond Park in September, 2002, followed by the LaSalle Bank Chicago marathon. Despite windy conditions, she smashed the world record to win in 2:17:18"
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Michuel wrote:
    Salaco wrote:
    For real, any truth to rumours that he has received nutritional advice from the same doctors which have assisted Paula Radcliffe's transformation from 10k also-ran to marathon record-breaker? 8)

Why besmirch a top class athlete. Just to put the record straight on Paula I reprint the following

"Paula has compiled a most distinguished record as Britain's top distance runner, setting five British records at both 5000m and 10,000m, three at 3000m and two at half marathon from 1998 to 2002. All her previous achievements were capped by her sensational year in 2002. She had a superb London marathon win in April 2002, where her 2:18:56 was the second fastest ever run, over three minutes faster than the previous best in a women's only race and over four minutes better than the previous fastest debut marathon. Running on her own, she ran the second half marathon in 67:52, a time bettered by only 12 women at that distance alone.
    In the summer she took her first major championship track titles with extraordinary runs and she capped it all by taking 1:29 off the world record for the marathon in Chicago.
    Many of her successes have come in cross country, from her magnificent win over Wang Junxia to take the World Junior title in 1992 to her World gold and silver medals in 2001 and repeat win in 2002.
    Paula ran an extraordinary 30:43 to win the 2002 'World's Best' road 10km in San Juan, Puerto Rico. She broke the UK 10km road record of 30:38 on a hilly course in Richmond Park in September, 2002, followed by the LaSalle Bank Chicago marathon. Despite windy conditions, she smashed the world record to win in 2:17:18"

She was a perrenial fourth in top class events for years and then starting stomping on everyone and smashing records. If you do that in cycling, the finger of suspicion is raised.

In particular her London marathon victory in 2003 is extraordinary, some might say she ran like an extra terrestrial.

From Wikipedia (which means its probably arse):
    "She is the current world record holder for the women's marathon, which she set during the 2003 London Marathon, with a time of 2:15.25. This mark is currently the highest scoring performance ever, in terms of IAAF world ranking points, at 1307, higher in value than Florence Griffith-Joyner's 100 and 200m records, Marita Koch's 400m, and Michael Johnson's 400m record. Also the score would equate to between 9.75s and 9.76s in the men's 100m sprint - the current world record being 9.77s"
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    this paula radcliffe..??

''Radcliffe's athletic ability and commitment to training are accompanied by a strong belief in playing by the rules. She has frequently made high-profile condemnations of performance-enhancing drugs in athletics, most famously at the World Athletics Championships in Edmonton in 2001 when Radcliffe and team-mate Hayley Tullett held up a sign protesting against the reinstatement of Russian athlete Olga Yegorova, after Yegorova had tested positive for the banned substance EPO. Radcliffe also wears a red ribbon when competing to show her support for blood testing as a method of catching drugs cheats.''

Its amazing someone wins something be it running cycling or whatever and they're automatically suspected of drug taking...so sad...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Michuel wrote:
    From Wikipedia (which means its probably ars*):
    "She is the current world record holder for the women's marathon, which she set during the 2003 London Marathon, with a time of 2:15.25. This mark is currently the highest scoring performance ever, in terms of IAAF world ranking points, at 1307, higher in value than Florence Griffith-Joyner's 100 and 200m records, Marita Koch's 400m, and Michael Johnson's 400m record. Also the score would equate to between 9.75s and 9.76s in the men's 100m sprint - the current world record being 9.77s"

The source is actually the IAAF website, so it shouldn't be ars*.

Bearing in mind Asafa Powell has consistently been hitting 9.77 seconds (although his Worlds performance wasn't much to write home about), then 9.75s/9.76s are not impossibe. Similarly, there's a feeling that Wariner will break Johnson's record sooner or later. So firstly, these equivalents aren't unattainable (Griffith-Joyner's may well be, of course... but that's a different matter). And secondly, maybe the equivalence formula is simply wrong!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I forgot. She's British and so above suspicion.

I don't care if she doped or not, but the extradinary improvement in performance in the latter part of her career indicates that something definitely changed in her preparation. That and the fact that EPO has had the same effect on marathon times as it has had the speed of the peleton.

Holding up a homemade sign is so much guff. I could hold up a sign saying I was nuts deep in Adriana Lima last night, but it doesn't (alas) make it true.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    [. So firstly, these equivalents aren't unattainable (Griffith-Joyner's may well be, of course... but that's a different matter). And secondly, maybe the equivalence formula is simply wrong!

Don't forget that womens distance running is essentially a new sport. Women weren't allowed compete at distances over 1500m in the Olympics until the mid -70's, IIRC. Womens marathon and 10K racing is an even more recent phenomenon. There isn't yet the same volume of data as with the men to show what the ultimate limits of womens performance should be. In fact, there is a school of thought that indicates that as the distances increase to ultramarathon levels, women could equal or better the mens performances.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    Timoid. wrote:
    I could hold up a sign saying I was nuts deep in Adriana Lima last night, but it doesn't (alas) make it true.

I did wonder where she'd got to... :?
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    why did she stop for the Athens olympics then

I'm not sure that was the performance of a doped athlete?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Oh dear! :roll:

From the BBC:

T-Mobile hit by new drugs scandal

German team T-Mobile has been hit by a new doping scandal after Italian Lorenzo Bernucci, 27, was sacked on Tuesday for failing a drugs test.
    He has tested positive for the banned appetite suppressant Sibutramine.

"We do not know if this was an attempt at performance enhancement or just poor judgement," said T-Mobile general manager Bob Stapleton.

After the Tour de France, T-Mobile axed Patrik Sinkewitz after he admitted using a testosterone gel.

Bradley must feel like its out of the frying pan. . . . . .
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    Does EPO make you pee a lot? Because if so, that would explain Ms. Radcliffe stopping mid-race to relieve herself at the side of the road in a marathon! :D
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That was no pee. That was a poo. Lots of runners get it.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    I forgot. She's British and so above suspicion.

I don't care if she doped or not, but the extradinary improvement in performance in the latter part of her career indicates that something definitely changed in her preparation. That and the fact that EPO has had the same effect on marathon times as it has had the speed of the peleton.

Holding up a homemade sign is so much guff. I could hold up a sign saying I was nuts deep in Adriana Lima last night, but it doesn't (alas) make it true.

yeah but have you ever been tested and are you likely to be? I think not.
    Some one has to win, but as soon as some one does you get the usual cranks saying they "probably doped".
    What about Bradley Wiggins in pursuit then? I suppose he doped also?
    It is not uncommon for women to peak as they get older. Even more so after pregnancies.
  • see here for a plausable explaination for paula radcliffs marathon success

http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2007 ... paula.html
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    [What about Bradley Wiggins in pursuit then? I suppose he doped also?

I remember him saying in an interview some of his team mates at Cofidis asked him what he used to win. So fellow pro's thought his performance was a bit ET like....

And why should he be above suspicion?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ...Linford Christie was a very average sprinter in the early days. He then added a good amount of bulk and ran blistering times whilst in his 30's - about the time when you start slowing down...

...then he got caught with his pants down. Which, in all good doping self-denial stories, he flatly denied any naughtiness. Yes, he won Silver at the '88 Olympics behind Carl Lewis who won gold after Ben Johnston was busted with his heaving shoulders and bug eyes. Ah, Carl Lewis who rather enjoyed the odd cold remedy.

I remember Chris Broadman saying during the TDF: 'If it appears too good to be true, then it probably is', which could be a good rule of thumb.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Timoid. wrote:
    Michuel wrote:
    Salaco wrote:

She was a perrenial fourth in top class events for years and then starting stomping on everyone and smashing records. If you do that in cycling, the finger of suspicion is raised.

In particular her London marathon victory in 2003 is extraordinary, some might say she ran like an extra terrestrial.

Most of those 4th places were down to tactics, as a young runner she was afraid to go out and run the kind of pace she was capable of from the start. So she ran at a comfortable pace but got blasted away over the last lap or two (she has no sprint finish).

Marathon running is a whole different kettle of fish (one difference is the increase in distance of 20 miles), and I think at this distance she found what she was really good at. She can go out and run the kind of pace consistently that few others can manage. Young runners are put off running marathons so you can't compare her 10k performances to those more recently over the marathon.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Michuel wrote:

The source is actually the IAAF website, so it shouldn't be ars*.

Bearing in mind Asafa Powell has consistently been hitting 9.77 seconds (although his Worlds performance wasn't much to write home about), then 9.75s/9.76s are not impossibe. Similarly, there's a feeling that Wariner will break Johnson's record sooner or later. So firstly, these equivalents aren't unattainable (Griffith-Joyner's may well be, of course... but that's a different matter). And secondly, maybe the equivalence formula is simply wrong!

Hmm... it seems 9.74s is possible! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/6986250.stm
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I remember Chris Broadman saying during the TDF: 'If it appears too good to be true, then it probably is', which could be a good rule of thumb.

Does that include Boardman's and Obree's hour records and Boardman's fastest ever prologue? I guess they could be classed "too good to be true"...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Well, it seems pretty clear that long distance running lends itself to EPO doping and the commercial nature of the city marathon circus certainly would seem like an ideal background to that.

A remember a female Japanese winner of the Berlin marathon having 'trained very hard' fore several months in China, hmmmm.

Sorry, but in professional sports, no-one is above suspicion anymore, however nice and genuine they appear.
    =====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.