Quill Stems

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited September 2007 in Road general
Not had much luck getting hold of a cheap supply. Basically I want a few different lengths to test my BJ set up when I find the correct length I will buy one from hubjub. I bought a Nitto Pearl 120 but it is too long I have just tried a 110 old Cinelli which is much better but I would like to try a 100 or 90 or 80. Looked on the dreaded bay and not had much luck. Can these still be bought cheaply?

Comments

• GaryGkn wrote:
    Not had much luck getting hold of a cheap supply. Basically I want a few different lengths to test my BJ set up when I find the correct length I will buy one from hubjub. I bought a Nitto Pearl 120 but it is too long I have just tried a 110 old Cinelli which is much better but I would like to try a 100 or 90 or 80. Looked on the dreaded bay and not had much luck. Can these still be bought cheaply?

A reasonably good bike shop may well stock the Kalloy Uno quill stem (a chunky-looking TIG-welded aluminium job; I think it's front-loading) which isn't overly expensive.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks David I am probably being a little imapatient as it feels like it has taken ages to get the bike right.
  • You could always get one of those cheap adjustable ones - get it in the right position and then measure to see what 'proper' stem is needed. Alternatively an LBS that does loads of repairs will probably have a box full of different stems in their workshop.
  • GaryGkn
    I am going to try all these ideas.
    Thanks everyone!
  • Icicle19
    Icicle19 Posts: 377
    edited September 2007
    A Look ergostem is what you need !! Multi adjustable, but now rare and were very expensive, about £100 or so new. Older ones are not front opening, but I think later models were. One went on Ebay last week for just shy of £50 IIRC, I think late bidding would have been pretty fierce. But if you can find one, it'll let you experiment with rise and reach till the cows come home.

there was also a 3T Mutangolo adjustable stem, might still be available somewhere.