Got my 1st century on Sunday and I feel like pooh.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I'm doing the Southern Sportive on Sunday, it will be my 1st 100 miles, ever, and I feel rubbish.
I've a head cold and am feeling very tired, I went with Wifey around the short course yesterday, but by 7pm last night I was wiped out.

My problem is, obviously I would be a little nervous, anyway, as I'm more of a 50-60 miler. But I've been learning and improving my nutrition and would have felt ok about making it round, but what should I do in my preparations now?

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    As little as possible I think is the best answer

You should be tapering anyway, I.e very little cycling, but if you're ill concentrate on getting better quick.

Eat lots and rest lots, a bit of exercise can release adrenalin which can make you feel better, but keep it gentle and short.

Good luck with getting well and tell us how you do at the weekend!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    nolf wrote:
    As little as possible I think is the best answer

You should be tapering anyway, I.e very little cycling, but if you're ill concentrate on getting better quick.

Eat lots and rest lots, a bit of exercise can release adrenalin which can make you feel better, but keep it gentle and short.

Good luck with getting well and tell us how you do at the weekend!

Now tell the wife that.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Did my first yesterday (hooray!) and having read that I should be tapering in my various training manuals, I only did 24 miles for the whole week before the big day. I wouldn't worry if you can't put in your usual miles. I just did enough to make sure my bum didn't get too used to being off a saddle.

For your cold, you could try Echinacea (sp?) which is supposed to help fight off cold. If it were me, I'd probably have hot baths, oranges, early nights and paracetamol as well.

I found my first century to be fantastic experience because once I'd gone past 70miles, I was just elated to be going further and further than ever before. :) I had been nervous beforehand but the thrill of being in a group out on the road made that disappear.
    We also had as short course on our century and the last 30 miles or so we shared the same route. This was a real morale boost for me because most of the short course riders were on big mtbs and so going past them was fairly easy. You may just find the same.

good luck